• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best fitting pre-cat replacement available for 2001 XJ

PavementPrincess

NAXJA Forum User
Going to be replacing my pre cats on my 2001 Cherokee due to cracked head issues. Curious of peoples experience on fitment. I want something that's gonna be a direct replacement. I've heard some brands claiming to be replacements require welding and what not to fit. Im not trying to reengineer this thing I just want opinions. Is my only option oem? Thx in advance.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Just went with the Walker one when I replaced the dual cat set up on my '00. Did buy new hardware for where it connects to the exhaust manifold from my Jeep Dealership. Think it ran me $18. I used the Walker Cat for vehicles with CA Emissions not registered in CA or NY. I did not do the job but my mechanic did not indicate that there was any problems with fit. And it got rid of the P0432 CEL I was getting.

I used a genuine dealer part replacement on mine not wanting to fuss with aftermarket headaches and a potential move to an emission unfriendly state, so I'm not much help on aftermarket opinions. I can tell you that a 15mm swivel socket will make your life much easier!

I used the walker replacement too -- It fit fine but it looked like it was welded by a blind 6 year old girl with no fingers

I ended up re-welding everything

Funny thing is I get the P0432 code now with the walker precats and new NGK o2 sensors -- comes on about every 100 miles -- I just reset the computer when it happens

I have no history on the Xj before the Walker replacements, Had no precats installed when I bought it -- they where removed by old owner who said they where bad-- not sure if he was getting the code or not

I also went w/the Walker Pre-Cats. Not the prettiest, but mine was welded up ok and it's hidden so who cares. :) Knock on wood no more P0432 Code since installation ~ 2 years and counting I think.

Thx for the info guys appreciate it. Will try oem if the price isn't astronomical. Otherwise walker it is. Think there would be anything to worry about installing an oem cat thats been sitting for 20 years. Also should I replace the 02 sensors? They don't look to be originals.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Back