• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surge, loss of Power, Dies. 90XJ RENIX 4.0 Auto

90XJ_Seth

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states,
My vehicle surges at about 12 minutes of driving, then loses power and if I am under 20 miles an hour my vehicle may die (as of today that is).
I am thinking the main culprit is fuel pump and fuel filter.
Also, it struggles to start occasionally (this is as of a week or two ago) but it starts if I open the fuel cap and relieve pressure on the system.
I checked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line and it causes idle increase when I disconnect the vacuum from the regulator.
I am thinking the fuel pump is giving up on life and is a bit angry with the California heat today.
TPS sensor is in adjustment range and harness repair has already occurred through Cruiser54 tips page.

Looking for ideas or thoughts regarding this situation.

New. Since March. But I had a fully screwed up system with no power to the O2 sensor and it ran rich not lean when that happened. I've refreshed that system. I know I nearly ruined the Fuel pump about a year and a half ago.

So, System wouldn't stay charged. Did a simple check at the rail by trying to relieve fuel pressure. There was no fuel coming out at the rail when I tried to relieve the pressure. Replaced with an Airtex Pump, filter, and full hanger assembly today. First time in a while it primed and started immediately. Then, it didn't try to die when I didn't give extra gas. It also doesn't smell like it's dumping fuel anymore which is nice because I would like to not burn out my new CAT from the SMOG episode earlier this year. Only hang up is fuel sending unit to the gauge reads low. Not too bad though since my old gauge always read a quarter tank high.

Hope it stays running well. Thanks guys!

Ugh, It's back.
I video'd it and now it sounds terrible too.
It died on the drive to class tonight but I got it running again.
If you are up for helping , here is a link to the youtube video of what it sounds like. It sounds to me like there is an airflow restriction.
https://youtu.be/PmaU7bgAhZk

Anything you recently did, especially right before an issue, is suspect as related to the problem! That being said, that sounds to me like a vacuum leak, which would make it "surge"...idle high as well.

Anything you recently did, especially right before an issue, is suspect as related to the problem! That being said, that sounds to me like a vacuum leak, which would make it "surge"...idle high as well.

Agreed! Also, I checked the o2 sensor on a recommendation and it is not oscillating but staying just about 5v. All connections appear strongly powered and within ohms. The o2 sensor has a strong power connection but is not oscillating at all. I then Bypassed the fuel ballast resistor. I realized I incorrectly said it surged in the title as it is mostly just a loss.
Fuel pump is working and noe louder without the resistor but it's comforting to hear it. I noticed some smoke came from the cat when it died I on the road today (before I bypassed the resistor). I'm wondering if it's dumping so much fuel its blocking the cat because o2 says running lean and it's dumping fuel.

Guess who's a total fool... This guy right here! So my wire refresh didn't take as well as I thought because apparently when you don't include a wire bad things happen. My TPS ohm resistance was over 14! ohms and I feel dumb. The O2 sensor was NOS from ebay and only lasted a little while. Picked up a bosch 12009 O2 sensor tonight to see if it would work after I re-repaired the ground harness near the firewall. Yes, it works, It oscillates, my jeep seems to be running much better. I am now hoping and praying I didn't break the dang engine trying to gumby it up!
Thanks for the tips guys.

Back