• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why Spectra radiators suck

DieselSJ

NAXJA Forum User
The 4 year old radiator in my XJ decided to split a tank yesterday. Being in a hurry and Autozone having one in stock, I purchased a Duralast (Spectra really) A1193. Got the old radiator out and laid them side by side and noticed a very bad design flaw in the Spectra -

wERhkzN.jpg

The trans cooler is blocking almost the entire port for the lower hose. Ran back to AZ to make sure this wasn't just a fluke and the other one they had in stock was the same way.

Returned that one and ran to OReilly and picked up a Murray part number 432335. Much better design -

YWqlqUd.jpg

Turns out I had put a Murray in it previously and they are a lifetime guarantee so it was actually a good thing the Spectra was crap because I ended up with a free replacement.

The Spectra also has smaller tanks and the core was about 1/4" thinner than the Murray. Spectra uses a square trans cooler which takes up most of the space in the tank, whereas the Murray uses a round cooler element which does not shroud the lower hose connection.

I cannot see how the Spectra would keep anything cool.

Last edited:
Nice to know.

Thank you for posting that up.

I have a Spectra 3-core out in the shed that lasted only a few months before replacing it with a radiator that actually worked, an HD Mopar.

Nothing about the Spectra impresses me.
They suck because they are poorly designed and cheaply built .

2 XJ's, 1 MJ all with Spectra Radiators going on 3 plus years. Zero issues, cools great even pulling a 8,000ft grade with camp trailer in 90 degree weather?

2 XJ's, 1 MJ all with Spectra Radiators going on 3 plus years. Zero issues, cools great even pulling a 8,000ft grade with camp trailer in 90 degree weather?

You may have an earlier design. Pull your lower hose and check.

And if you are at 3 years you should prep yourself for a radiator replacement soon.

Back