• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap d30 parts

Mcmadman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so about a year ago I posted here about a shop who was recommended by a jeep community multiple times. I went for an alignment and theu said I had a ball joint. When i drove home I got thrown off the freeway. I called them the next day I ended up with a wallowed out hole wich "happens to old axles" anyways they welded it in and i think the c is bent as well. Today I jacked it up in the driveway and there is tons of play. I have a donor axle that I'm going tontry to put in. Ive bought and totalled an LJ since then so I really need to get this thing on the road. So this axle was just sitting in someones backyard do I need new seals? Ujoints? Just any recommendations or steps before i get into this would be greatly appreciated

First thing you have to worry about is the gear ratio.

And a Rubicon should have 4.10's in it.

The early JK Rubicon's came with 4.10 gear ratio. Later they switched to 3.73 with the 4.10 available on special order for an increased price. I do not know at what time the change was made. It is best to verify the ratio in the axle of question.

I already ordered balljointsnand ujoints I probably dont even need the balljoints. This things jist been sitting doesit need new seals

If its torn down and you're going to check the gears putting axle seals in is barely any more work. Pinion seal can be done any time after.
Ok advice to me was to just slap it in im glad I'm replacing stuff. Found a good write up on seals looks like I have to pull the carrier fun. On my current axle athe wheel bearings seemed ok by wiggling the tire is there anything else to look for??? Also wish i wish I would have bought a currie set up instead of zj tie rod.

Not if the front is 3.55's!

No this is the donor but yea I should open up the front on my car I vuess i gotta get it to where I'm working on it I e been prepping thhe nee axle

It probably is 3.55. Chock the front tires, put it in neutral, raise 1 rear tire off the ground, spin that tire one rotation and count how many times your rear driveshaft rotates. That’s your gear ratio.

No it doesn't sound good, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with all new bearings.

I can swap the carrier bearings and it should be an easy swap? Im not regearing right now cause I dont believe have I have the aptitude

It's the pinion bearings and crush sleeve that need to be replaced!

Back