• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 AX-15/4.0 Clutch Replacement

bigpondonly

NAXJA Forum User
Throw Out bearing and/or pilot bearing is making a screech between 2300-2500rpm. Doing entire clutch replacement, have searched and am left with the following questions. Hate dropping transmission, only want to do this once.
1.2 different Luk p/n's are available for clutch/pressure plate, 05-901 and 05-065 anyone know the difference?
2. Replacement Luk flywheel is right about $50. Replace or resurface? Is it best practice to replace flywheel bolts?
3. A lot of talk about replacing the composite TO bearing in the kit with this (National p/n-614093) metal one, any input on this?
3. Should pilot bushing supplied with kit be utilized, or upgrade to a Timken roller bearing? Should fork be replaced?
Any input and or experience is most appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

No clue on the P/Ns.

I have read that the flywheel should not be resurfaced but rather replaced. If resurfaced it should be shimmed to get it back to the factory spec for distance/thickness from crank flange. Reason being there is not an adjustment to be made on the pushrod for length.

That is simply something I have read, not something I have firsthand experience with.

I would probably reuse the flywheel bolts. I am not aware of any issues with them failing.

Put me down for strongly recommending you replace that POS bearing that comes with the kit with a real bearing instead. National is probably not your only option. I went with Timken. SKF should also be good. The failure mode on the composite bearing does not include any advance warning.

I don't think I would go with a roller bearing. Bronze pilot bearings are pretty reliable. I don't see a roller bearing lasting as long. But that is an opinion.

I would examine the fork. It has several points that call for just a dab of grease. As long as those points do not show excessive wear I would not bother to replace it. Just clean it and lube it properly and it should keep on doing its job. I suppose total mileage and/or salt exposure might change my opinion on this one. Again, examine it first.

get a new flywheel. if I remember correctly the flywheel isn't exactly flat but convex (I think) reuse the flywheel bolts
I havnt had issues with the plastic bearing but id go timkin.
I have never replaced the fork either just make sure its greased well.
If I had to guess on part numbers, on is the HD and the other is standard duty
the pilot bearing is fine, I have never had an issue with one.

Have you ever dropped the trans out of one of these? and might wanna look at replacing the internal slave cylinder while your in there

Back