• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Whining noise

CStamm

NAXJA Forum User
This noise seems like it comes and goes, bu last night it got a lot louder. I can only hear it when I'm under like 25 mph, coming to a stop. It might be there all of the time, and I just can't hear it over the tires when I'm going faster. It will not do it when I am idling. It just sounds like a "whining" noise coming from the front of the engine. I'm suspecting water pump or power steering pump. The cooling system needs a flush badly, could this possibly help? Also, any chance it is the wheel bearings in the front? Thanks ahead of time.

could also be one of the iddler bearings. Most have two - one is the a/c support bracket which holds the bearing for the clutch fan and the other is the tensioning pully.

Losen up your s-belt and then check all the pullies for play - they should have none.

Before I replaced my a/c support bracket I use to be able to hear a 'singing' or high pitched whine at times when I drove.

BTW - the a/c bracket is a dealer item only - costs about $90

Driving today, and it seems like it only makes the noise when everything gets good and warm. Also it will not do it in neutral while sitting there and revving he engine, only while the vehicle moves, so I'm really stumped. Any more ideas??? Anyone???

I could never hear the noise on mine while at iddle, only when driving.

If it is a wheel bearing, then I would jack up the front end and spin the tires, maybe even pull them off and take a peak. Maybe it is some dirt rubbing - have you gone through any mud puddles lately?

sure, plenty of mud puddles! LOL. Well it did it when I got it, so I don't think its dirt. Good idea, I will have to pull the wheels and inspect. I'm thinking it might have something to do w/ the fron DS. Thanks for the suggestion.

maybe worn teeth on the ring/pinion gear. My rear end does this around that speed. Kind of a howl.

Back