• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ blend with a 97 questions

DaveB

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to help my daughter out with her 96 XJ. It has a low mileage drive train but a very rusty body. I found a 97 body that came out of Vegas that is very rust free but was parted out. I am planning on swapping the entire 96 drive train into the 97. I have done a fair amount of searching and have discovered that I have a bit of a challenge ahead of me due to the transition year issues. I know I can swap everything from the 96 into the 97 by modifying the firewall to account for the wiring differences and swap the dash and all internal wiring. My daughter likes the look of the 97 interior and it would be less work if I can blend the two. The 97 engine bay wiring harness had some connectors cut off. so I either need to find a new harness or splice the wires. I have read about the transmission wiring differences and the splicing that is required but I need to find out about all of the other sensor wiring differences. I will keep on searching but has anyone tried to do what I am doing that has any suggestions ? I have also found a 98 harness and computer but after reading that it may be even more work. My daughter is going through a divorce and doesn't have much money so I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed.

The wiring harness's and PCM are very year/model specific. Your best bet is to stick with the '97 electronics and deal with the transmission and anything else that might be different.

Well I checked the date on the 96 and it is one of the early 96 models and the transmission connectors don't look anything like the 97 connectors and there is actually one more connector than the 97. Does anyone know how difficult it might be to swap the wiring harness in the AW4 to a 97 version ? I know that I can fix the neutral safety cable problem by getting a 97-01 NSS.

Well I guess I could splice the 96 tranny connectors into the 97 harness if I can find the two wiring diagrams. This might be a good option since the guy who parted out the 97 was lazy and cut off the tranny connectors.

I think I read somewhere that the transmission computer is pretty much standalone so you just need to keep transmission computer with the transmission.

I found a 97-01 NSS and connector so I should have what I need to make the 96 AW4 work with the 97. I am having trouble finding a 96 wiring diagram that shows the transmission wiring. Does anyone have one or a link to the wiring diagram ?

I am about done with the swap and have learned a lot about the transition years of 96-97. I was able to find a 97 harness that didn't have a bunch of cut off connectors so I bought that one. I did buy a 98 harness only to find out there were a lot of connector changes. I swapped the wiring harness in the aw4 so all tranny wires match up. The 97 aw4 wiring is a 97 only harness so I was lucky to find one. The sensors for the motor were a mixed bag some of the 96 sensors match up but some don't. The IAC, cam position sensor, coil, and oxygen sensors are common between 96 and 97. All of the AC parts are different. Another part I had to swap was the gas tank as they are quite different. I hope to be able to fire it up soon. I have lots of left over parts now that I hope I can find a new home for.

Well I fired it up over the weekend and it started on the first try with no engine error codes. I do have an airbag light on that I will need to track down but that might be the missing sensor on the front of the jeep behind the front bumper.

Be aware, the '96 airbag is practically mechanical. It is not triggered by any electronic sensors external to the airbag.

I am not sure exactly what you have changed between the two vehicles, but the airbag systems are definitely different between the two years.

Be aware, the '96 airbag is practically mechanical. It is not triggered by any electronic sensors external to the airbag.

I am not sure exactly what you have changed between the two vehicles, but the airbag systems are definitely different between the two years.

The airbag system is from the 97, I didn't dare try to mix the two.

Wise choice.

I think there is some sort of issue with late models where the airbag light comes on if the connectors at the back of the instrument cluster are not perfectly seated, but I think the CEL light also comes on at the same time. Or something like that. Still might be worth looking into. Not having a late model l haven't paid especially close attention to that particular detail.

Back