• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Interchange - Late E-Fan into Early Xj?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I considered removing the mechanical engine driven cooling fan years ago and now it looks like I can do just that. Thanks must be given to comanche91 and Brendan_91XJ for this solution. See here:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983427

However, this is only part of my current need. At the moment, my 1988 Xj electrical responds only to the override switch I installed using my Fog Light switch some time ago. My A/C does not work so, placing the HVAC controls in A/C mode does not enable the electric fan. The newer fans are simply quieter so, I prefer to use these.

My current question is, "Can we use the newer electric fan in an older Xj?" I think the answer is yes. This must take into account, the tabs on the electric fan shroud and the clearance of the two assemblies.

Please let me know as promptly as possible...I am unable to drive my Xj in the above normal temp's we are experiencing because, my existing electric fan only responds to the Fog Light switch override intermittently. Note I have confirmed +5 VDC is present at the Fog Lamp override harness I made. The resistance of my E-fan is 12.5 MOhms...high? Sometimes, the E-fan is fine, sometimes, I see it move a small amount, other times not at all. I always hear the relay engage to distribute the 5 VDC to the E-Fan.

Back