• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No crank no start

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 auto

So driving around today the jeep kept starting weaker and weaker like a bit more hesitant. The last time this happened I needed a new battery.

Dash lights up, headlights look bright, but the engine doesnt turn over. I've had multiple battery issues through the years so I'm really trying to get feedback on why this might keep reoccurring.

.Thus far I've tried jumping the battery. The multimeter Reads 12.8v,but that means little.
.I'll test jump the starter relay
.I've tried starting in neutral
.Looking at fuses now
.interior guage reads a hair under 12v
I'll take the battery into interstate on Monday when they open again and have it tested. I guess the chain stores don't test cranking amps.

I've got terrible luck with batteries it seems/ no start issues

Last edited:
Starter is sparking when trying to jump it with a screwdriver, I'll test the power going to it with a multimeter. This will be starter #3 if it's toast

Mine did the same thing, and it too was the starter. Fortunately, I have a 5 spd and was able to bump start it, proving it was the starter.....

Napa shows the starter is good, but I'm going to get a second opinion. Its not the first time I've gotten an inaccurate reading.

Advanced registers the starter good as well. I'll test the battery tomorrow at interstate, does anywhere else test batteries cranking ability?

What else do y'all think it might be now?

Last edited:
Where was the starter sparking? If your connections are tight it shouldn't spark. Check the positive connections and the main ground to the engine block.

Where was the starter sparking? If your connections are tight it shouldn't spark. Check the positive connections and the main ground to the engine block.

Said he did it with a screwdriver. Easy way to test a starter is by jumping the main feed stud (with angry pixies running into it) and the solenoid stud with a bit of metal. Electrical insulation where the 200-pound gorilla meets the poking end makes the central nervous system happy. What most 200-pound gorillas have lying around that meets these requirements is ba, ba, ba, DAH- cheap, crappy screwdrivers. Angry pixies flying around are to be expected when doing this.

That's what I'm thinking, your voltage was low to begin with, and a shorted cell won't always jump start!

If the temp sensor works, it will extend service life.

What you need to do is have someone try to crank the engine while you read the voltage at the battery. Report back with the measured voltage drop.

That^!!! A DVM doesn't draw any load, so even a dead battery will read close to it output voltage.

If the temp sensor works, it will extend service life.

What you need to do is have someone try to crank the engine while you read the voltage at the battery. Report back with the measured voltage drop.

So I put the starter back in last night and tried starting, which it did with much hesitation.

This am I put the camera on the multi meter and it did drop to 10.28 when starting. It did start though so I shut It off and restarted again.

Taking the battery in now to be checked

Well I have a new battery. The first couple days it's been starting strong.

Today it hesitated cranking over. Now I'm really confused as to What is going on.

Last edited:
Cables loose or dirty or old corroded brittle and fraying? Grounds to block and fender? What shape are they in? Battery to PDC and alternator to PDC are crucial for charging for sure. I've had issues with cables on two 98's and the 01 I have is fine for now. One 98 I got away with just putting new clamps on. The other 98 I had to replace all the cables. That was after two short lived clamp replacements. Good to check/refresh them for sure.

Main cables from battery are good, 2 gauge wire and less than 1yr old. Grounds had looked good a couple weeks ago, but I'll check the wire to the alternator and them in more detail.

The battery has only been used for three days, two 10 minute drives each day.

The starter tested fine twice, but I still wonder if there's something to it with a fresh battery and all.

Last edited:
What's the output voltage when running above idle speed(w/ a good voltmeter)?

Couldn't tell you now, trying to leave work and it won't start.

It had been 14.26 I think

I hear a single click/ ping like the solenoid might be trying. It doesn't start in neutral. I gave 11.40v at the starter small wire when trying to start, solid 12.4 on the big wire.
Battery stays at 12v while trying to crank.

I noticed the door alarm doesn't jeep unless I hold the key in.

Last edited:
Back