• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for Cruiser54 on Renix ECU Upgrade

CJR

NAXJA Forum User
In you Renix ECU upgrade video, two Renix ECUs are shown; i.e. 428 & 429. In the replies to that video, it's stated that the ECU 428 was used because the XJ used was an automatic. Is that correct? So then the Renix ECU 429 can only be used for stick-shifts?

Best regards,

CJR

In you Renix ECU upgrade video, two Renix ECUs are shown; i.e. 428 & 429. In the replies to that video, it's stated that the ECU 428 was used because the XJ used was an automatic. Is that correct? So then the Renix ECU 429 can only be used for stick-shifts?

Best regards,

CJR

You can use them in either application. The 428 will work just fine with your stick shift.

Cruiser54,

I have an 88 XJ auto Renix. What exactly is the difference between the 428 and 429 Renix ECUs?

Best regards,

CJR

Cruiser54,

Thanks for your response. It is appreciated! I started incorporating many of your tips into my 88XJ years ago. It now runs really, really well and is my most reliable Jeep!
Keep up the good work.

Best regards,
CJR

Don't know EXACTLY, but it seems like the Auto ECUs have a teeny bit better idle stability when shifting from Park or Neutral into D or R.

I can't imagine the difference is too big. The ECU doesn't control the trans or even know what gear you're in. Doesn't have any data connection at all. The manual ECU does have an output in the connector for an upshift lite though.

I can't imagine the difference is too big. The ECU doesn't control the trans or even know what gear you're in. Doesn't have any data connection at all. The manual ECU does have an output in the connector for an upshift lite though.

I couldn't really tell much difference except the idle stability.

Back