• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dampener eating belts?

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
So my poly V belt failed by loosing the first section to the first groove. It was badly checked so I bought another one and installed it.

I let the engine run and all of sudden I start hearing random pops, almost like a knock. I look down and find the belt moving front to back on the water pump when it pops.

I check why but cannot determine what is going on until I notice the belt wandering one groove off on the dampner. Now I know why the belt failed!

So is my dampener bad? I think so.

Just want to confirm with you guys. I replaced one several years ago on a 92 but the problem was the damper heading into the timing cover. OHHH this one may be moving in that direction too! Hence the belt wanting to move onto the front lip!

I understand there is a special way to remove/replace the dampener without removing the radiator. Can you remind me of the process?

So my poly V belt failed by loosing the first section to the first groove. It was badly checked so I bought another one and installed it.

I let the engine run and all of sudden I start hearing random pops, almost like a knock. I look down and find the belt moving front to back on the water pump when it pops.

I check why but cannot determine what is going on until I notice the belt wandering one groove off on the dampner. Now I know why the belt failed!

So is my dampener bad? I think so.

Just want to confirm with you guys. I replaced one several years ago on a 92 but the problem was the damper heading into the timing cover. OHHH this one may be moving in that direction too! Hence the belt wanting to move onto the front lip!

I understand there is a special way to remove/replace the dampener without removing the radiator. Can you remind me of the process?

The outer section on the harmonic balancer can start to separate and move forward or backward. Usually it's obvious if you lay a straight edge across it, or you see the rubber is protruding. Using the standard HB puller, you'll probably find it's too long and the bolt hits the radiator, in which case you'll want a bolt of the same thread just shorter.

You'll also need a bolt the same thread as the bolt that holds the HB on but longer and a big washer and nut. If you try to pull the new balancer on with the stock bolt, it won't engage enough threads at first and you'll rip out the first couple of threads from the end of the crank. Instead thread in the longer bolt and use that and/or the nut to push the HB on.

Also consider doing the front crank seal while you've got the balancer off.

On my '96 I had no interference issues with the radiator using an older Craftsman HB puller.

I just had this issue with a new belt.
If you look straight on at the belt. use something straight to hold if needed. you will see it.
check the pulleys line up.
My power steering pump pully was not fully mounted and caused this.

Last edited:
Lawsoncl - Thanks for the reminder!

I haven't checked with a straight edge. I just can't imagine that there is another issue. With 214K it is time. Is putting a new seal in easy without removing the rad?

blu3fan - I did check all the pulleys for alignment. They looked good and while it is running the issues is most noticeable on the fan pulley. However, the last time I shut the engine off, the belt was off one grove on the HB.

Back