• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signals are out. Help?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
The turn signals on my 89 have stopped working. When i turn the blinkers on left or right nothing happens at all. All other lights work. Running, stop, emergencies. I have replaced all the bulbs and checked them all with a continuity tester. I believe i checked all the fusues. Is there a relay or flasher that i could have missed? I checked the ones i thought would be relevant and all is well with them. The jeep has sat for a while and they did work before. I dont want to tear into the column if i dont have to. Any ideas where to start? Any help is appreciated

The firewall mounted fusebox is pretty vulnerable to corrosion, (especially if you have a 5 spd with a leaky clutch master).

Start by checking if the fuse actually has power with a test lamp. Make sure there isnt any corrosion on the sockets in the box. Then check for power at the flasher and switch connector.

How many different fuses and or flashers are there? I see one fuse that is labeled brake/turn and one flasher That is at the bottom left. Is there others that im missing?

Should be two flashers one for hazard and one for signals. If the fuse labled brake/turn is good, (brake lamps work), skip checking fuses. Try swapping the flasher from one socket into the other. If No change, Go to checking for power at the switch connector.

How many different fuses and or flashers are there? I see one fuse that is labeled brake/turn and one flasher That is at the bottom left. Is there others that im missing?

It's just the brake/turn fuse and the round flasher module. I don't remember which corner of the fuse block it's on, but it's next to the clock fuse. I believe it also has 3-pins versus the 2-pins for the hazards module. Give it a couple of good taps and see if it starts working again. The fuse marked flash/pass is actually for the headlight flash-to-pass.

Ditto on the corrosion. Mine was in pretty bad shape when I finally tore it apart and replaced all the pins. Kinda nice not having to to tap the fuse block with your foot while driving because the instrument panel died. :}

does everything else work aka radio wipers and such? on my 90 i some how got the key in the run and start position and didn't engage any of the accessories. blinkers did not work when this happened. then i noticed my radio was not on.

Problem solved.... fuse wasnt making good contact. Scratched the contacts with a pick and put the fuse back in. Works perfect. Thanks for the help guys. I would have never thought about checking that with a test light. One of the little contacts broke off while i was doing this. Is there an easy way to fix it? It works for now but just in case...... keeping my fingers crossed

The only way is to replace the terminal in the fuse block. Not the hardest thing in the world to do, finding the terminals is the hard part.

Option B:
My heater fuse overheated to the point that I ended up having to clip the wire and solder in an inline fuse holder.

The only way is to replace the terminal in the fuse block. Not the hardest thing in the world to do, finding the terminals is the hard part.

Option B:
My heater fuse overheated to the point that I ended up having to clip the wire and solder in an inline fuse holder.

They're in pretty bad shape if they're breaking. When they get bad enough you start melting the fuses.

Skim down to my post in this thread for a source on the terminals for the Renix era fuse block and a real short how-to. It took me about 3-hours and $25 in parts to redo all the terminals in my block. Depending on options you might have a couple more fuse slots populated than I did.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1142103

^What he said.

Back