• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning on rebuilding my NP242

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
im going to be rebuilding my NP242 at some point.

i have a bearing and seal kit and im going to get some shift fork pads. is there anything else i should get while im in there? the chain seemed tight last year when it was opened.

should i get a new oil pump for it also?

I am in the middle of my NP231. Here are some of the extras I am doing:

New trans mount (Have to remove the cross member anyways)
New shift linkage (Boostwerks looks much more intelligently designed than OE)
Speedi-sleeve on the T-case input and new seal on the transmission output (the miles are adding up to grooves on the T-case input shaft)
New range fork (pads aren't replaceable on my original)
New chain (Can't imagine not doing it unless the old one was recently replaced)

Just some food for thought.

BTW, I think it is far easier to loosen the nut on the front output yoke (and rear output yoke if you have an SYE) while the case is still in the vehicle. If you have an air impact this may not make any difference, but for the rest of us it is something to consider.

if i get the boostwerks linkage does that mean i can remove the stupid mounting plate that covers the nuts on the drivers side!

Last edited:
if i get the boostwerks linkage does that mean i can remove the stupid mounting plate that covers the nuts on the drivers side!

Yes.

Or I will be very surprised.

I have not gotten mine put back in yet, but I think the only factory piece that is kept is the shift lever itself, and even that has to come out to be modified.

A couple of other things to make sure you have on hand are good snap ring/lock ring pliers. I needed three different sets to deal with my NP231. One set for the type of rings that have two holes in the ends (I had to deal with both internal and external, my set of pliers for that can be switched to do either type). One set of regular lock ring pliers and one set of heavy duty lock ring pliers.

I purchased a set of Wilde G705.B heavy duty lock ring pliers and am quite happy with them, but they are too big for some of the lock rings, so you will need a smaller set too, something like the Wilde G409.B (assuming they are small enough) or Lisle 44900. (I have the Lisle 44900 pliers, but not that Wilde G409.B pliers. I mention the latter because I am happy with their heavy duty brothers, but I don't know for certain how much smaller they are than their heavy duty brothers.)

Here are some links, but you might want to try ebay too:

https://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Tool-G705-B-Compound-Pliers/dp/B00HRY1VVY

https://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Tool-G409-B-CS-Pliers/dp/B00HRY1RTA

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-44900-Lock-Ring-Plier/dp/B0009OR974

Back