• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to manual swap parts

PavementPrincess

NAXJA Forum User
I've swapped from the aw4 to manual trans in my 2001 Cherokee. If using the factory console aside from the shift boot is there anything else I'll need to put it all together? I know on the older cherokees you needed a trim piece. Just curious about people who have already done the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought there was some clips/screws for the shifter boot... I dunno, my '96 never had them. I know for a fact that I did have a second rubber boot/cover that was secured to the transmission tunnel with some sheet metal screws.

The 2001 engine computer might throw a code if it doesn't see the trans computer. You'll need to do something about the neutral/park switch so you can start it. I don't recall offhand, but I think the NSS grounded the wire from the starter relay.

You'll obviously need all the clutch stuff, rip put the key interlock wiring and solenoid, etc.

Ithe swap is done and running. I'm just curious of those who have the 2nd gen xj's aside from the shift boot is there a trim piece for the console. I still have the automatic console in it. What parts do I need for oem look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OEM manual shift boot should come with a "rigid" base, that snaps in place into the center console. The rigid base is comparable to your stock Automatic Gate, snap in trim piece...

Back