• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard start/low idle after TB/TPS/IAC sensor cleaning

chrisjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I cleaned the TPS/TB/IAC and now I have a rough start , low idle and a slight miss.
I changed the fuel pump(bosch),was getting 25-30 psi before the change and the same after change. I installed a check valve near the tank, no change. changed plugs. I hate throwing part at issues, can someone tell me the order in which I should go about fixing this. it's a 1994, 4.0 .

try priming the injector first by turning the key to on a few times, but dont start it until the 4th or 5th time. if it stumbles starting the injectors may be leaking and the engine is clearing its self because its flooded.
however if it fires right up instead, the fuel pressure regulator isnt a bad bet, its starving/ hard starting until fuels getting pumped to the injectors.

Throttle position sensors do not respond well to cleaning and routinely fail afterwards.

stock injectors. fuel pressure on gauge goes right to zero when engine is turned off. would like to know what series of test I can do instead of throwing parts at it.
The fuel pressure shouldn't bleed down nearly that fast.
When you replaced the fuel pump, did you check the upper
section for cracks? The hose tends to crack near the clamp
and will release pressure back into the tank.

X2

X3, however usually new fuel pumps include that piece of hose as long as it was used. I would say you have a failing regulator. If it was an injector bleeding of 10psi running it would probably hydrolock the motor or have a lot of black smoke. Pinch the return line momentarily and see if the pressure comes up.

Back