• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 brake booster/ reservoir leaking???

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
just got down from wheeling, i noticed the brake reservoir or booster is leaking a little. the lid was fully secured when checking. i cleaned everything off to see if i can find exactly where its leaking from. other wise the breaks seem to be working fine.

-what would cause this to happen?

-can a booster get damaged or can something inside wear out, i have no idea why fluid would be getting out?

There isn't supposed to be any fluid in the booster, if there is the MC is bad.

There's a seal where the pedal rod goes into the MC. If that seal gets damaged it will leak into the booster.

If its dripping down the face then probably leaking at one of the flares and running down the bottom of the MC instead

There is a membrane/gasket in the lid. It is designed to expand/drop as the fluid level gets lower and is a barrier between the air/moisture and the fluid. If it is torn or not sealing correctly the fluid may seep between the lid and the MC body and/or out the vent.

Most times when someone checks the fluid, the gasket expands/drops and when replacing the lid it may push some fluid out or the fluid may overflow out of the reservoir. I usually gently push the lid gasket as high into the lid as possible then replace the lid on the reservoir, helps avoid issues.

Back