• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement camshaft

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
On a 2001 Cherokee 4.0, Im looking to replace the camshaft as part of a rebuild. Any suggestions? Its not a stroker, just a .030" overbore. Might have the head 'gasket matched' but not going serious, just to get the engine to breathe a little better. Im not planning on changing/reflashing the computer, no performance chip, etc. Just looking for a better than stock cam. Thanks

Not a simple answer for such a simple question.

Call Russ @ Bishop Buehl and talk with him. He'll have good advise and also has several custom cam grinds you may find favorable.

Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203

It DOES have to pass a smog test, and I was not planning on using stiffer than stock valve springs, so understandable I would not be going much bigger than stock. And yes, the question has come to mind 'Then why do it'. But, just looking to see if anyone had suggestions and a brief description of how good a particular camshaft worked for them. I know the variables are endless and its a difficult question to answer, just thought I'd throw it out there. I cannot go too radical that the factory computer cannot manage it properly, I guess Im looking to just bump up the duration and lift a bit from stock, since this is the time to switch cams now that the engine is apart. Thanks again!

The factory computer can handle a lot more than you'd expect.

Russ @ Bishop Buehl puts out 15 or so performance 4.0 and stroker motors a month, and has a dozen or more cams that he uses. He can give you very solid info - whether you buy from him or not (but his prices are pretty damn good too).

I'm sure he'd be happy to give you 5-10 minutes of his life, but he probably won't stumble onto this post in a timely fashion.

I've been extremely happy with my Comp Cams#68-232-4 !

That's definitely good to know about the computer being able to compensate. I'm sure that the injectors have a little wiggle room as well, I'm not really worried about it because I'm only planning on going up a tad in size. I will definitely give Russ a call, thank you for the information!

Russ is who suggested the Comp Cam!

Excellent! I just got your link and checked out your write-up. Pretty impressive. I really miss having a garage, and being able to build something up myself. In an apartment right now and so far getting away with what I have has been a blessing. The block and head are still at the shop, I was going to call them today to see where things are at. I asked them to measure the cam to determine its wear and go from there, but the more I think about it, I should just replace the cam to something better since I'm already throwing new lifters at it, I'll just get a cam kit (with lifters and pushrods) to keep it simple. I also have to deal with the rdiator. I nicked the core during the pully removal, so Im going to upgrade that. It was a stock single core Mopar unit. Id like at least a two-core replacement to handle this heat, and the guys at Performance Radiator recommended a CSF unit through mail order. At the same time, Im thinking about a dual electric fan set-up, prefferably something as drop-in as possible. Like I said before, no garage to fab stuff right now. Any thoughts and/or suggestions on anything?

Who did you end up taking the block and head to? What about the crank and rods?

Don't bother with a dual electric fan or a triple electric set up.

Don't bother with a dual electric fan or a triple electric set up.

^This. Been there, done that, ripped it all out. Stock 97+ mechanical and electric fans, ZJ standard duty fan clutch. Call it a day.

David Bricker / SYR

Thanks for the advice on the cooling system stuff, Im pretty sure at this point Im going to stay with the stock setup because everything is working just fine. I replaced the clutch fan assembly about six months ago and would like to get a little more use out of it. As far as the radiator, well, it has to be replaced anyway, and after speaking to the Performance Radiator guys, Im just going to get a CSF two-row metal tank replacement and drop in it.

I dis-assembled the engine myself to evaluate. After measuring the cylinders and realizing it needed to be bored, I had the Jeep towed to Sundance Auto and Machine. They were recommended by the guys at Valley Spring. It was a crapshoot since I havent been here long enough to know who is who, but after consulting with them several times first, they seemed knowledgeable and experienced. Im keeping the faith and time will tell! I'll talk with them tomorrow to see where they are at.

Yeah, I did that about 3d days after the build, my plates were overdue since the build took so long!

I just spoke with Russ, what a nice guy, and what a wealth of information! I think for this particular rebuild, I have a good plan of action now, especially concerning the cylinder head. I've got a little searching to do, have to find a TUPY head in one of the boneyards in the valley here. Any suggestions on where to start?

Definitely not easy to find and your head is already at the machine shop! What did Russ guide you into? Since your block is already being machined it impacts your piston choices also.

From talking with Russ, the impression I got was that the TUPY head was a direct replacement, albeit an upgrade in that it didn't seem to have cracking issues, used on the 4 liter engines after 2001. He did not mention anything about how this head would adversely affect the shortblock (pistons) I was going to be using. We directly discussed how if I were to get ahold of one of these TUPY heads, I would use it on my application. I can double check with him just to confirm its use, that might be the safe thing to do, but my thinking is that if it came from a 4 liter engine from 2002-2006 and had the TUPY casted in the spots he indicated, I should be safe.

Back