PDA

View Full Version : GOJEEP website to close down

Gojeep
August 15th, 2017, 10:03
Not sure if anyone knows of my site or still uses it, but the website www.go.jeep-xj.info or www.jeep-xj.info will be closing down next month.

I have bought the domian http://willyshotrod.com for my current build but have made a sub domain for the XJ part in case it is still of use. It is replaced by http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com

Cheers Marcus.

Kittrell
August 15th, 2017, 10:05
Pretty sure it is still referenced regularly. Thanks for saving it...........:thumbup:

Rob Mayercik
August 15th, 2017, 10:18
x2 - I still drop by there once in a while...

bigdaddyjlove
August 15th, 2017, 10:32
Same here. Really glad you are keeping it alive.

cal
August 15th, 2017, 11:02
gonna leave almost as many broken links in threads as photobucket did. ;)

ehall
August 15th, 2017, 12:44
if you still have control over the old domain, you can do an HTTP redirect to the new one, pretty simple thing

Gojeep
August 15th, 2017, 13:28
Glad to see it was still being used. I will leave a redirect for as long as I can on the index page but the owner of the domain will not want to keep paying for it after it runs out, which I'm not sure exactly when that is. I have paid for it to help out the last few years but can't expect him to keep maintaining the site as well which he had been kind enough to do all this time. He was fellow XJ owner at the time when I was going to close the site down after the 'free' hosting site back then even, suddenly wanted to charge me to keep the site going as was getting too much traffic. That was around 15 years ago! The current owner where it is hosted hasn't even had a XJ the last 5 years or so, so was very nice of him to keep hosting it. But thought it about time to buy a domain and server space to keep going without any favours.
I still have the same XJ and is the only vehicle in the family until the Willys is finished. Will most likely be parted out after that one is finished even though still low mileage and not a bit of rust of damage anywhere. They are just not worth selling whole anymore. :(

Goose_XJ88
August 15th, 2017, 15:07
I defiantly reference your site all the time. Might be worth it for myself to download the info or even take screenshots of everything to keep as reference.

asymptonic
August 15th, 2017, 17:32
I defiantly reference your site all the time. Might be worth it for myself to download the info or even take screenshots of everything to keep as reference.

If y'all need, I have a web server that can host a mirror of this indefinitely. Happy to set up a new domain too.

ehall
August 15th, 2017, 19:37
maybe naxja would host the content. seems like the whole domain name could be redirected

Demonoid369
August 16th, 2017, 02:29
Yup as you are seeing, your site and knowledge is still a big part of the xj community. It is mentioned and referenced here and on Facebook groups a lot. Thank you for keeping it alive.

Anak
August 16th, 2017, 06:54
If y'all need, I have a web server that can host a mirror of this indefinitely. Happy to set up a new domain too.

That would be awesome. If the owner is willing for this to happen that would be a win for all of us.

There is a ton of information on that site. It would be a shame to lose it.

Greenz
August 16th, 2017, 08:31
Keep it alive. Been there many times.

Gojeep
August 16th, 2017, 12:06
Had no idea it was still being reference so much. Well at least none of it is being lost and will live on under the new domain and server, so no need to mirror it here or anywhere else. Just wanted to give everyone fair warning that the old site will be gone but have already set it up on the new server so any links you have can change in time.

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com

Cheers guys.

Starboard M
August 17th, 2017, 07:47
For anyone who wants to see a very cool Willys build in total, check out GoJeeps build here:
http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/showthread.php?1041-Grand-Willys-Project

Very impressive work!:cheers:

Gojeep
August 17th, 2017, 11:52
For anyone who wants to see a very cool Willys build in total, check out GoJeeps build here:
http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/showthread.php?1041-Grand-Willys-Project

Very impressive work!:cheers:

Thanks mate. :)

XJEEPER
August 17th, 2017, 12:52
Marcus, glad you're keeping the GoJeep site active and your Willy's is a work of art!
Loving the build, mate :thumbup:

Gojeep
August 18th, 2017, 08:13
Marcus, glad you're keeping the GoJeep site active and your Willy's is a work of art!
Loving the build, mate :thumbup:

:cheers: Thanks mate.

comanche91
August 18th, 2017, 08:42
I've used your site for years Marcus and have even made a few small contributions. It's one of the few sites in which I trust the content completely and I go there regularly to verify information. I hope it's always available to the Jeep XJ/MJ community, and thanks for keeping it alive mate. http://comancheclub.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbs.gif

Don fm. 'Bama

Gojeep
August 18th, 2017, 10:16
Good to hear from you Don. :)

lazyxj
August 18th, 2017, 14:06
I refer newbies to your site to your site often and have used it hundreds of times myself. It's the only general purpose XJ site left that still has its photos intact.

BTW, I have been following the Willie's built from the beginning. Your skills and planning and execution are first class, can't wait to see the finished car... in a year or three.
I have learned a lot from you, thanks.

bad_idea
August 18th, 2017, 19:55
I can't tell you how many times I have referenced your site. Especially your write up for front end alignments. It is tough to convince people the caster is adjusted by shimming the LCAs. Everyone wants to replace the arms with adjustable ones so they can 'gain' the ability to adjust the caster! Your a wealth of knowledge. Appreciate you and the site.

Gojeep
August 19th, 2017, 01:44
Excellent guys. Appreciate the feedback.
Looks like word is getting out about the new location for it for your help, so that is great. Thanks. :)

bwinter1946
August 19th, 2017, 16:09
I have used the GoJeeo website numerous times over the years. It had good common sense information displayed in a way anyone could understand and use. Thanks for hosting it.

Gojeep
August 19th, 2017, 23:40
I have used the GoJeeo website numerous times over the years. It had good common sense information displayed in a way anyone could understand and use. Thanks for hosting it.

Thanks mate. I have left the layout the same even though there is so many more bells and whistles you can add now a days. Change for the sake of change is not worth it in my book if it still works. Regular readers will still know where to find the information and not get lost in a fancy front page etc.

I'm sure the move will cost me more than the payments I must make every month now to keep it my own, as will take a while to find the white gauges to buy at the new address as well. Mind you that is now maybe one every few years for the US versions, one every few months for the others, so hardly going to pay for the site. :D

bad_idea
August 20th, 2017, 20:05
I just skimmed through all 138 pages of your Willy's truck build. All I can say is, wow! Some excellent work.

Gojeep
August 21st, 2017, 13:34
I just skimmed through all 138 pages of your Willy's truck build. All I can say is, wow! Some excellent work.

Glad you liked it. :)

XJsportG
August 21st, 2017, 18:19
Is it the domain name or the site hosting that the owner no longer wants to pay for? I will be more than happy to take ownership of the domain name, and redirect it to the current hosting or host it myself.

Gojeep
August 22nd, 2017, 00:46
Is it the domain name or the site hosting that the owner no longer wants to pay for? I will be more than happy to take ownership of the domain name, and redirect it to the current hosting or host it myself.

Both but it is all sorted now as bought my own domain and server space to host it now.
Many thanks for your kind and generous offer though. :)

iwannadie
August 23rd, 2017, 02:40
That was a great resource to me back when I first got my XJ and I actually just went to the site a few days ago(still a great resource) to reference something. Glad everyone wants to save it.

burntkat
August 25th, 2017, 08:55
This has been a great resource to me and many others, in various projects. I'm glad to see it won't be lost!

dan1977p
August 25th, 2017, 09:44
Both but it is all sorted now as bought my own domain and server space to host it now.
Many thanks for your kind and generous offer though. :)

Yeah, but if someone buys the domain name and redirects it to the new host, none of the existing links die. I recommend if someone is legitimately interested in owning it for this purpose to put in the ticket now with their registrar so some company doesn't see it expire and snatch it up for ransom.

cal
October 27th, 2017, 07:32
******!

I have yet again followed a link to the broken domain, and then spent 10 minutes looking for this thread so that I can find the mirror and go looking for the right url.

Are you sure one of us can't just foot the bill to keep the old website alive? :)

Bent
October 27th, 2017, 11:37
Could it be put on our server(s)?

cal
October 27th, 2017, 11:39
It doesn't even need to be, the content is on his new server.

Just a DNS alias so that links work.

dan1977p
October 30th, 2017, 06:48
NAXJA could buy the domain and alias it pretty easily.

burntkat
November 3rd, 2017, 13:47
NAXJA could buy the domain and alias it pretty easily.

If the owner is willing to sell. He's not. That's the end of it.