• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission swap

Ferrari458

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for help on a transmission swap from 94 automatic Cherokee swap into a 2002 standard Cherokee The problem is it will not start thinking it's a transmission signal not getting there from the crank sensor . Believe the automatic being from a 94 is not compatible with the 2002 PCM does anyone know if there's a way to trick it.
Thanks in advance

Even if you get it to start and run, the 2002 transmission is different than the 1994 transmission.
The later model AW4 transmissions have input and output shaft speed sensors that the ECM uses to check for proper operation.
The 1994 transmission doesn't' have the output shaft sensor and is incompatible with the 2002 Cherokee's ECM.
You could use an aftermarket manual shifter, that doesn't use a computer, but you will always have a CEL present.

Interesting, Jeep stopped selling Cherokees, in the US, in 2001

Even if you get it to start and run, the 2002 transmission is different than the 1994 transmission.
The later model AW4 transmissions have input and output shaft speed sensors that the ECM uses to check for proper operation.
The 1994 transmission doesn't' have the output shaft sensor and is incompatible with the 2002 Cherokee's ECM.
You could use an aftermarket manual shifter, that doesn't use a computer, but you will always have a CEL present.

Interesting, Jeep stopped selling Cherokees, in the US, in 2001

The 94 absolutely does have a speed sensor on the output. It does not have an input that I know of. Am I the only one saying wait an 2002? XJ's ended in 01. Did you try to start it in neutral? Could be the NSS. If you are trying to start it with the transmission plugged in then it would most definitely be the NSS and I doubt putting it in neutral will help.

Lots of help from all of you guys. Thanks a bunch the only problem I have is I am in Costa Rica and very little help here and parts scarce. If I can get it running I'll get a Manual shifter for sure. Only concern now is how to get it started?

The 94 absolutely does have a speed sensor on the output. It does not have an input that I know of.
Got it backwards, the older AW4s are missing the input speed sensor.
Either way, the transmissions are not interchangeable.

The OP lives in Costa Rica. XJs continued to be sold in other countries after they were discontinued here.

Back