• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walker 55188 tail pipe issue on my '01

WI-Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Recently purchased a Walker 55188 tailpipe and Walker 18959 muffler from RockAuto listed as a direct OEM fit. Cut out my old rusted system from cat back which strongly appears to be original, and mock fit the new setup. It seems the Walker pipe is bent incorrectly (badly) at the muffler side.

Now here's my issue: I drove around to all local part stores that had the same part in stock and all bends are the same. I'm not a novice mechanic but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills that it can be that far off for what claims to be a direct OE fit. Would rather not get a custom pipe or upgrade to the Dynomax/Magnaflow $$$ systems.

Anyone have any ideas or am I just resigned to the custom/fancy deals? Photos below for reference, I have more if needed. Thanks!

20170721-JeepXJ-08-768x1024.jpg

20170721-JeepXJ-07-1024x768.jpg

By that pic was your muffler vertical? The Walker unit looks like what came off my 2k!

By that pic was your muffler vertical? The Walker unit looks like what came off my 2k!

No its the original exhaust cut out and laying on my garage floor next to the replacement parts. Maybe this shot below is a better photo angle? Bend is off 10-20 degrees right/left by my estimation and also slightly too high.

Edit: OK I see what you are asking - photo makes it look like muffler was vertical when installed. It was actually horizontal/flat like it should be in OE configuration. Photos can be like magic tricks.

20170721-JeepXJ-04-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: I'm an idiot and the exhaust is now installed. Fitment is perfect.

Thanks to user RCP Phx for pointing out my picture looked off, it was the key to my foolishness. Was doing this in the evening during a thunderstorm while it was hotter than balls and apparently my brain didn't work. :NAXJA: is a great community!

Kids, this is a PSA for getting a good nights sleep and not drinking too many of dad's adult sodas.

Edit: Photo showing correct alignment, I don't want to tarnish Walker's reputation.

20170722-JeepXJ-02-768x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Back