• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When did they rid of the wing windows?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Still on my quest for a donor car for my rolled '88. Lots of '96 trucks around me, but I learned today those don't have the wing windows, which i love. When did they get rid of them?

My 88 has wing windows, but you can't open them, which I hated.

Always hit my hand as I brought stuff in from the drivethru.......

Where are you located ??

Last edited:
My 88 has wing windows, but you can't open them, which I hated.

Always hit my hand as I brought stuff in from the drivethru.......

Where are you located ??

Why don't they open? Mine worked great, until the roll...

I'm in NY, why, have a lead on a 85-96 xj? I'm in the market, trying to pull the trigger this or next week.

I am with you on the wing windows. They are a poor man's AC system. My '73 Suburban had them and I used them regularly.

One of these days I may try to swap them in to my '96.

My 91 had wing windows. Sometime around when Chrysler got involved they dropped them. They are a bolt in for the first gen pre-97 body style though. They do tend to leak a bit, just keep that in mind.

Why don't they open? Mine worked great, until the roll...

I'm in NY, why, have a lead on a 85-96 xj? I'm in the market, trying to pull the trigger this or next week.

Not all wing windows were able to open. Some were made fixed.

I liked the one you could open on my ramcharger, but the ones on the jeep, not so much.

I have an 88 that has nothing really wrong with it except I don't drive it.....has a locking rear axle, master cylinder swap from a 00 GC, TB spacer, budget lift w/greasable shackles, and a rustys steering setup......also needs new clearcoat as the current is peeling bad, front seats are well worn, but no huge rips/tears. It does have an intermittent idle miss/stumble due to having to use a different year air intake sensor as they don't make them for 88's anymore & the values aren't the same, and it will need the front driveshaft rebuilt. Currently has some old tires on 15 x 10 steel rims under it. I think they are 31's, but could be 33's. it also has a 242 tcase.

The trans in it is starting to slip when you put a big load on it, like climbing over a log or rock if you aren't in low, but hey, it has over 375k on drivetrain..so what do ya expect ?? I do have a low mile 88 engine & trans sitting in my garage to go in it when needed.

I stopped driving it when I got the 96 with power windows....I start it up every now & then & drive at around the neighborhood.

Not all wing windows were able to open. Some were made fixed.

I liked the one you could open on my ramcharger, but the ones on the jeep, not so much.

I have an 88 that has nothing really wrong with it except I don't drive it.....has a locking rear axle, master cylinder swap from a 00 GC, TB spacer, budget lift w/greasable shackles, and a rustys steering setup......also needs new clearcoat as the current is peeling bad, front seats are well worn, but no huge rips/tears. It does have an intermittent idle miss/stumble due to having to use a different year air intake sensor as they don't make them for 88's anymore & the values aren't the same, and it will need the front driveshaft rebuilt. Currently has some old tires on 15 x 10 steel rims under it. I think they are 31's, but could be 33's. it also has a 242 tcase.

The trans in it is starting to slip when you put a big load on it, like climbing over a log or rock if you aren't in low, but hey, it has over 375k on drivetrain..so what do ya expect ?? I do have a low mile 88 engine & trans sitting in my garage to go in it when needed.
Not sure where you're going with this one.. are you just reminiscing about your old '88, offering to sell it to me, or is something else going on here? :dunno:

My 91 had wing windows. Sometime around when Chrysler got involved they dropped them. They are a bolt in for the first gen pre-97 body style though. They do tend to leak a bit, just keep that in mind.

bolt on? how do they bolt on? I've seen 94-96 doors with the "fixed" wing window, I don't see how they could pop out-- if you hav a link to a kit, you mind sending it to me? That would alleviate some of my hesitance in getting a later model (94-96) jeep.

Yeah, I know they leak. MY 88 is more or less a trail rig at this point, a little leaking doesn't bother me.

bolt on? how do they bolt on? I've seen 94-96 doors with the "fixed" wing window, I don't see how they could pop out-- if you hav a link to a kit, you mind sending it to me? That would alleviate some of my hesitance in getting a later model (94-96) jeep.

Yeah, I know they leak. MY 88 is more or less a trail rig at this point, a little leaking doesn't bother me.

My guess is you take the internals out of a door with wing windows and transfer it to the door you want wing windows in.
Not much different in putting 97 up glass in a 96 down door.

Not sure where you're going with this one.. are you just reminiscing about your old '88, offering to sell it to me, or is something else going on here? :dunno:

Well, I know what is in it. Didn't know if you would be interested or not which is the reason for the description, that's all.

I'd have to go out and check to see if anything has has evolved since I last drove it.

Well, I know what is in it. Didn't know if you would be interested or not which is the reason for the description, that's all.

I'd have to go out and check to see if anything has has evolved since I last drove it.
where is it located?

Yes you can. It has been done multiple times and well documented
Granted easier to do a door swap but it has been done and can be done

Do you have any supporting documentation? I am in the market for just such a thing. My 90 has the fixed wing windows, with broken AC. It is a HOT ride.

Back