• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/c help!

prerunner06

NAXJA Forum User
After 3 years of owning my XJ I got the A/c going again! it was working great until a few weeks ago when all went to crap..

I had the Evap, Compressor, receiver drier and expansion valve replaced all was working great! Then my blower motor started to cut out. figured okay easy to replace got a new one and swapped them out no issues..all was working even better then before great air flow a/c felt cool in the AZ summer! I was a happy camper. Then after getting gas one day I was pulling out of the gas station and the jeep stumbled and fell on its face blower motor cut out so I shut the A/c off and it recovered instantly! Runs fine. turn the a/c back on No blower at all now. wants to die at idle or acceleration.

I have replaced.
Fan Switch and Connector both were nasty and melted ( no change)
Replaced the blower resister

The blower will run just fine if I give it 12v
also I will get very light fan speeds if I turn the A/c on while at speed(40-65) it freaks the transmission out and kind of jerks the whole jeep and kicks me out of OD and does not ever want to go back in

AT this point and time I am thinking I have a Vacuum leak somewhere.I have checked all the lines they feel like there is good vacuum even drove around with the whole control panel disconnected and felt no difference

This is an electrical problem and not the compressor locking up?

If the compressor has failed/failing it be a tremendous drag on the engine.

If it's electrical not sure why it would affect the transmission.
Problem a lot of these jeeps have is the wiring for the blower motor ac system couldn't take the load some times. Usually do to the blower motor going bad. Not sure if that is what happened here or not.

If this is a electrical problem you'll probably have to search to find the place where the harness melted or is shorting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What year is yours???

The Renix years, 87-90, and possibly 84-9x, had way overloaded wiring, and the first thing I would do is replace the ignition switch now, and maybe the wiring harness connector, repair any fired wiring. It gets fried too when that string of AC-Blower issues takes out the stuff you already replaced. Also check the fuse and or relay box for the AC blower fuse (relay?).

Also you may have knocked loose or broken a vacuum line at the control box where you replaced the blower speed switch, or more likely at the firewall near the blower motor where the engine Vacuum line feeds through the firewall to the AC controls in the dash. They get very brittle there by the blower motor and break frequently there.

You may have other wiring breaking down near the Bad AC Blower motor wire at the ignition switch causing the engine to die!!!! I have replaced fried IgnSwitches that the blower motor and string of wiring and switch and resistor packs took out.

Mine is a 96 I have looked at all the wiring everything looks good nothing melted or look like it got hot. I am taking it back to the shop who replaced all the a/c components two weeks ago. I hope it's not the compressor.

Back