• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod install

tylergrant2011

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 Comanche 2wd that I just got new tires for. I wanted to get an alignment but the tire guy said I needed new tie rod ends. Well I've installed all of them except for the right outer. The tie rod end bolt is larger than the hole of the knuckle. The tie rod is identical to the old one except it may be more heavy duty and the bolt is bigger on the tie rod end. Is there a way to drill into the knuckle to make the hole bigger or add a tapered sleeve? Thanks.

Sounds like he gave you the wrong part.
The 84-90 are one style knuckle and caliper, 91-01 is different. Not sure but I think you got a 91 up tie rod end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Renix, like he has, the problem is the naming system in the parts store systems. Autozone did that to 2-3 times to me over the years, and 5 rigs, before I learned to pre check the part names and part numbers on line.

OP, just take the old tie rod end and the new one they gave you to the parts store, tell them where it goes on make them find the right part by trial and error. Take your receipt if you have it, that might help. Be sure they get the RH/LH thread correct too.

GET THE RIGHT PART!!!!! Your life is worth more than a $20 part....

There are some good images online that helped me. He is one of several I use.

alignment.jpg

Sounds like he gave you the wrong part.
The 84-90 are one style knuckle and caliper, 91-01 is different. Not sure but I think you got a 91 up tie rod end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the help. I was sold the wrong part. While I'm on this topic can anyone describe how to tell when the steering stabilizer that connects to that tie rod is bad?

They are cheap, and far more important, I think than most here think. I paid about $20 for mine delivered online IIRC.

The bushings in them can not be bought separate. Check them. Mine were so bad they were totally missing. It must be able to move the full length, open to close. Not sure how to test that, but I had a shock that would hang in one spot, and it would no longer fully extend, and instead it would lift the tire off the road and hop :eyes:.

If it opens and/or closes easily with no resistance it is toast. Those parts are all so cheap on the front ends now I just change them all.

Total loss of steering control at 50 mph, just once, taught me not to skimp.

They are cheap, and far more important, I think than most here think. I paid about $20 for mine delivered online IIRC.

The bushings in them can not be bought separate. Check them. Mine were so bad they were totally missing. It must be able to move the full length, open to close. Not sure how to test that, but I had a shock that would hang in one spot, and it would no longer fully extend, and instead it would lift the tire off the road and hop :eyes:.

If it opens and/or closes easily with no resistance it is toast. Those parts are all so cheap on the front ends now I just change them all.

Total loss of steering control at 50 mph, just once, taught me not to skimp.

I definitely should change them then because mine has no resistance at all the wind can probably move it in and out

Back