• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not sure where I should post this.

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
If this isn't the right spot feel free to move it. I was going to post it in the pictures section but I can't start a new thread there. I assume it's because I don't have red letters. I searched around some but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm trying to plan out two different mods, first I want to eliminate the back seat and use that space for out of sight storage. Mostly tools and occasionally a few rifles. I have a few ideas on how to do it. One would be just pull the rear seat back and replace it with plywood or sheet metal. The other, which I prefer, would be to keep the seat back but cut away all of the padding and springs but retain the carpeted back so it all blends in nicely. My thought is, it already fits nicely so why try to re-invent the wheel? I'm just looking to maximize the space beneath it when the seat is folded down.

The other mod is: I want to mount a CB up between the visors. I'm just not sure what's behind the headliner to attach it to. Maybe I'm lazy, but it seems like it would be a lot of work to pull the headliner out only to find that there's nothing there to mount it to without screws poking through the roof! Haha.

Does anyone have a picture of a pre 97 back seat that's been stripped to the frame? Or a pic of the inside of the roof with the headliner removed? Preferably the front area, but I'll take what I can get!

Thanks in advance!

PS: My rig is a 1996 2 door.

LJ, there isn't anything behind the headliner, but I've seen pics of CBs mounted up top.

I think the most common thing to do is to slide a backer between the headliner and roof. Doesn't have to be big, just enough to spread the weight a bit and give a point to screw into. I've seen people use a ping pong paddle before, or you could use a small piece of scrap plywood.

I might have a couple of useful pictures for you. These are from when I redid the headliner in my '96. I was taking these pictures more for the sake of recording the fine use of duct tape on Chrysler's part, but I think these will provide you with some idea of what is to be found up there.

This first pic is of the space directly above the windshield and a bit to the right. The slightly raised area with the two holes in it, one of which shows bare metal, is the location for the sun visor retaining clip. There is not much to provide a sense of scale, but you may be able to estimate scale by using the distance between those two holes for the sun visor clip:

96XJDuctTape3OPT.jpg

This second picture is of the support for the dome light. It is probably not nearly so useful as the first, but it is the next support member available to you:

96XJDuctTape4OPT.jpg

Figure you have several inches worth of mounting surface in the area directly back from the windshield, and then you have to extend all the way to the dome light support if you think you need more support structure than you can get from the windshield area. And of course, be aware of where that dome light wiring runs. It is probably in an inconvenient location and you will have to work around it. (In case it isn't clear, that is the dome light wiring that is being retained by that fine duct tape.

Sorry I don't have a picture with a wider perspective and a tape measure for scale.

Thanks Anak! Those are pretty helpful.

Just so I can confirm, in the first pic, those three holes to the left of the picture that are in a triangle, that is the center of the windshield,correct?

If you were to guess, from the visible surface of the crossmember where the three holes are to the inside surface of the actual roof skin, whould you say there's 1/2-5/8" of clearance?

I'll probably use those three holes to attach a piece of sheet metal that extends rearward a bit then attach the CB bracket to that. It's also nice to know that the power for the dome light comes from the front like that. I always assumed it came up the "B" post and across. I might add another dome light in that area as well. Maybe a pair of those MJ "B" post lights that can be switched on manually or disabled all together by moving the lens.

Thanks again :cheers: have a happy 4th!

I am pretty sure that those three holes (the triangle) mark the center.

That estimate on depth also sounds reasonable.

Once you open things up you will be able to confirm both of the above issues.

Luan plywood is REALLY helpful for what you are trying to do.

So is liquid nail...

Use the sun visor screws to attach a steel strap. Mount the radio to the strap.

I just mounted a radio up between the visors by pulling down the visor clips and using a piece of flat bar to span the gap between them and screwed the visor clips back on right trough the flat bar. Used the origanal screws and everything.

Edit: Now that the pics have had time to load, it looks like laxyxj beat me to the punch. Thats exactly how I did it.

Last edited:
Also, there is a header up there, above the headliner that the visor hardware scews into. I dont know what the clearance is between that and the roof, but I imagine it isnt much.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back