• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Steering Pump Same Noise

cbwymore

NAXJA Forum User
My original steering pump on my 2000 XJ had been making a grinding/ whining noise which kept getting worse so I just replaced the pump, both hoses and pulley. After flushing the system I reconnected the return line, turned the wheel lock to lock 30 times checked the reservoir and when I turned it over it sounded like it did before maybe worse. Shut it off and the fluid was all frothy. I flushed the system a second time using a vacuum pump. Same thing, grinding noise frothy fluid.

When I put a long screwdriver to my ear I can pin point it to the PS pump. It’s more of a grinding then a squealing noise.

It is a NAPA reman. Anything I am missing or possible bad pump

Sounds like it is being bleed correctly.
With the engine off and cool, jack the front end up, with the wheels off the ground. Rotate the steering wheel, lock to lock, 10 times.
Start the engine and check the power steering fluid level. If it is foaming, let it cool and repeat the above.
It sometime takes several bleedings to get all the air out.
It it never clears, the pump may be bad
Many rebuilt pumps are junk, out of the box.

Back