• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Notorious rear drum brake fix?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
As many of you know I have had one of three Renix jeeps I have drive me nuts with a mushy brake pedal issue. Well, that is still and issue, but after a panic brake stop damaged a rear brake part, I did some checking and for the first time in ages I now have great working rear brakes with 1987 OEM drum brakes!!! Even the adjusters work now.

What was the problem with the notorious rear drum adjusters?

Two things, one was a stretched wire cable (about 1/4" longer than a new one) that keeps tension on the plate thingy that clicks as the adjuster adjusts the shoe spread to keep the shoes in contact with the drums..... that extra 1/4" allows the plate thingy to hang up on the brake shoe and keeps the adjusters from adjusting!!!!

The other was a worn and rounded/bent half moon part that the wire cable rests on as its turn the 90 degree turn from top to bottom of the brake assy.

I backed up doing about 20 mph today after replacing them and was able to lock the rear brakes in reverse for the first time ever like with no problem at all. My brakes now, even with the mushy pedal issue are now twice as good as they have ever been, and I still need to replace a steering knuckle that is badly notched on the front side where the disk pads ride, that just may be the last source of the mushy pedal.

Back