• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 "full time" doesn't drive rear DS

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

subject says all.

2000 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP242, D30, C8.25. Appx. 257K miles.

Dropped it off at my buddy's shop because I have no time to deal with it. Vehicle drives great EXCEPT for a nasty scraping noise from somewhere up front that turns into a real rough vibe at about 75-80 MPH. Gets louder on coast and goes away under hard accel. Figured it was either D30 R&P or something in the xfer case.

Mechanic called me today. He said he found a trashed front front DS u-joint and replaced it, and he's looking into some other stuff because it's still not fixed. Hasn't pulled diff cover yet but he said that when he put xfer case in "part time" both DS would turn but when he put it in "full time" only the front would. I'm guessing that's a Bad Thing, yes? Or is this normal behavior? (I'm assuming it means something in the xfer case is screwed.)

Is there anyone you would recommend in NoVA/DC/MD to rebuild a NP242 or am I better off sourcing one from a junkyard?

If anyone near DC has one, let me know please!

nate

Might not necessarily be a bad thing. In full time 4x4 the 242 uses a "differential" in the transfer case to allow front and rear driveshafts to rotate at different speeds (like when turning a corner). If he had the Jeep on a lift, and possibly had the e-brake engaged, it would hold the rear and only the front would turn. So, you first need to figure out how he's testing it!

Good point. I figured that draggy rear brakes, if that were even a thing, would be overcome by internal resistance of the whirly bits/oil in the TC. BUT... if he left the E-brake on... but then he would have smoked the brakes testing in 2WD/PT... I'll ask just to make sure

In full time mode and both driveshafts disconnected, you can easily grab ahold of the spinning yoke, stop and hold it. Having done it myself, the holding torque is probably less than 5 ft-lbs. What you're describing is normal...

What you describe sounds very much like a stretched transfer case chain...

Last edited:
OK then... I guess at 260K miles I wouldn't be surprised.

So that brings me back to my original question; is there someone in the NoVA/DC/MD metro area that you'd trust to rebuild a 242? The vehicle is currently at my friend's shop in Forestville (inside the Beltway, near Anacostia for you locals) so closer to there would be more convenient. His guys I probably wouldn't trust, I'd rather do it myself if I had time, they're more of an oil change/basic maintenance/minor repairs kind of place. He's helping me out though so I'm letting them do as much as I can as I get buddy rates there.

I can't f'ing believe it.

My buddy's shop burned over the weekend with both Heeps inside.

Neither appears to be damaged but it looks like I'm not getting anything fixed any time soon, and I can't even retrieve the black one until they're done investigating (both fire marshal and insurance)

I should buy a f'ing lottery ticket because with all the shite luck I've had lately it's about time for something decent.

I'd rather do it myself if I had time

Have you considered picking one up out of a junkyard and swapping it in to allow you to do the rebuild yourself without tying up the vehicle? Once done, you could sell the junkyard one on.

Crazy about the shop, but glad you didn't lose your Jeep due to it...

I may have to, although I have literally no work space now

local shop that was recommended to me wanted $1800 (?!?!!!!!!) to do the job soup to nuts.

Gonna have to call around. Would have to take a day off to pick it up though unless I can get another shop owner I know to order for me, no more free parts delivery :/

Back