• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Maintenance?

Creeper2012

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to swap in a used AW4 for my AX-15 this weekend. While I've got it sitting on the ground (or engine stand?) and in the wide open, I'm probably going to install a Transgo shift kit and give it as thorough of an inspection as I can while the pan is off. I'm sure I need to check the bands and solenoids, probably replace the input/output seals and give it a new filter and fluid... anything else I can do to give it the best possible chance in life before it goes in?

Fluid or flush suggestions? Things that are notorious for failure that I can easily replace/upgrade while I'm this deep? Etc?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Your plan is solid. Be sure to use Dex/Merc fluid.
Thanks! This won't see much road time and a lot of low-speed trail crawls, rocks and hill climbs, so I know keeping heat down will be an issue.

I'm debating on adding a temp gauge, stand-alone cooler (location pending) and probably its own fan, wired to either a temp switch or a manual one that I can flip when I see the temp is getting too high. Any good sizes and/or locations for an aux.cooler that won't restrict radiator air flow or get bashed on rocks? The interior is gutted (no carpet or rear seat), but we usually keep it pretty loaded with tools, cooler, gas cans, spare tire, etc. Possibly underneath the floor, above the rear axle area?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Personally, I would bypass the radiator cooling entirely and keep the tranny on its own cooling system. I would also ditch the crap lines and install SS braided lines with AN fittings. The disconnects are junk and a PITA, had one blow on the trail and spew fluid everywhere.

As for a cooler something like this would probably suffice

https://derale.com/products/fluid-c...000-copper-aluminum-power-steering-kit-detail

And you could mount it on the frame rail or somewhere else. With a heat sink type you can possibly get away from using a an.

I would follow this for some good info.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-2.htm

While the pan is off, weld in a bung for temperature sender.
At the JY, I found a big cooler, off a Ford van, that was twice the size of the stock, towing-package cooler. It fits well and does a good job of cooling the fluid.

Add a fan switch and relay so the electric fan can be run continuously, when off-roading or in hot conditions.

Once the transmission is installed, do a full flush, using the transmission's pump to pump the oil fluid out, through the disconnected fluid return line, while adding fresh fluid.

Does the computer need to be changed, when switching to the AW4?

Personally, I would bypass the radiator cooling entirely and keep the tranny on its own cooling system. I would also ditch the crap lines and install SS braided lines with AN fittings. The disconnects are junk and a PITA, had one blow on the trail and spew fluid everywhere.

As for a cooler something like this would probably suffice

https://derale.com/products/fluid-c...000-copper-aluminum-power-steering-kit-detail

And you could mount it on the frame rail or somewhere else. With a heat sink type you can possibly get away from using a an.

I would follow this for some good info.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-2.htm

The heat sink style would be good if it were to constantly have wind moving over it, but I won't, so I'll need to be able to create my own wind (i.e., with a fan/radiator-style cooler combo).

I've actually got that writeup saved to my phone with screenshots, lol. Got bored one night at work and found it... didn't wanna lose it B-). I agree that it's a good one to follow!

At the JY, I found a big cooler, off a Ford van, that was twice the size of the stock, towing-package cooler. It fits well and does a good job of cooling the fluid.

Add a fan switch and relay so the electric fan can be run continuously, when off-roading or in hot conditions.

Once the transmission is installed, do a full flush, using the transmission's pump to pump the oil fluid out, through the disconnected fluid return line, while adding fresh fluid.

Good idea with the temp sender bung. I'll hafta add that to our parts list.

Any recommendations? Favorite stuff to flush with?

For retaining streetability, you would want to have a TCM that matches the tranny... whether it's a stand-alone unit or integrated into the PCM (depends on year). It's possible to run it without a TCM, but you lose shifting control. Since ours will be strictly off-road and controlling the 1-2 shift will be pretty important (as that's where it'll spend a good chunk of its life) I'm probably going to install the Rail shifter that radesignsproducts.com makes.

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/rail-controller.html

BTW, any recent word on if ^these guys^ are still going / making these things? Their website was last copyrighted in 2013.

This shifter - in tandem with the factory shifter - gives you manual control of the solenoids. Adding a simple toggle switch will control TCC lockup. It basically takes the place of the TCM and, in an off-road rig where smoothness isn't so important - and predictability is more important - it should be a pretty good solution... at least for us.

The heat sink style would be good if it were to constantly have wind moving over it, but I won't, so I'll need to be able to create my own wind (i.e., with a fan/radiator-style cooler combo).

I've actually got that writeup saved to my phone with screenshots, lol. Got bored one night at work and found it... didn't wanna lose it B-). I agree that it's a good one to follow!

The idea of the heat sink is to increase surface area thus removing the need for air moving over to cool it. Compared to a typical tube and fin style cooler it will be more effective at cooling without the need for air passing over it. If you want to add a fan I would go with a stackable cooler.

I do believe RAD is still in business. That rail shifter is the shizznet,

Make sure u use atf+4 or a good synthetic atf. NOT regular atf

Nope Dex/Merc. ATF +4 can cause issues. Used it once and only caused problems for me.

yes , this is the best way to flush it imo too, refill it w/ synthetic , use amsoil atf in mine.

If you have a 98 or earlier trans, there's aplug just forward of the front cooler fitting. It's a large torx bolt. I plumbed my trans gauge there with an autometer adapter. I used a trans cooler from an f350 with a 4r100 trans. It's big. I've only driven it a handful of times but on the trail it never goes over 170. It is mounted in front of the radiator and never runs thru the radiator.

Thanks everyone! Just got the old ax-15 out and gathering parts to go back together. Thought I had everything, but my flexplate is from a post-renix donor, so I've gotta find one of those before I can get to the install :brickwall

Back