• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Concerned about how built your rig is?

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard from multiple potential attendees this year and previous years that they've been hesitant to attend because Harlan is a big bad wheeling park and they're afraid their Jeep just won't be able to keep up. I assure them that there's something for everyone in Harlan but I'd like to put some pictures of rigs here to refer folks to.

Truly, there's something for everyone. If you aren't worried about body damage then you can likely follow the big boys through most of the tougher stuff.

Last year I brought my average built XJ on 33's and did 70% of what I normally do in my locked trail rig on 35's.

20160807_120559_zpsxxhncf0q.jpg

I'll be in the YJ this year. I spent several years ago following around my friends on 40's in my XJ on 35's, so don't be concerned. There's usually a bypass around the hard stuff and folks will let you know what you're getting into before you're past the point of no return.

IMG_20170409_155653_335_zpshj8blbog.jpg

So, post a photo of your rig and of it on obstacles in Harlan from previous years for the new guys.

Here is one from 2015 of Wade and I going up Fish Fossil.

Well this is what I am planning on driving down with:

No pics but done a few trails with 29" tires before. A few dents, so no worries about that. Not gonna tear it up bad, just wanna have a good time. I am sure some one will run moderate trails with me, who knows I may try some harder ones LOL. Can't wait to do this.

31" tires, aussie lockers front and rear, stock gears(lol), and not much else

Last edited:
There's plenty to do for with your rig up there.

No one will put you where you'd get into danger.

Yep. I had a blast a couple years back on 31s and a front locker. Harlan in a small rig is more about making sure you are mechanically squared away, the mountain can be unforgiving on cooling systems and brakes.

My MJ is on 37's and locked at both ends. Red YJ (Carmine) is on 33's and locked at both ends and he follows me pretty much everywhere. This is our once a year trip (Florida folks).

The little YJ that could.....

Carmine has new springs and has rock sliders this year. I think he wants revenge on Fish Fossil.

I want revenge on the exit.... I also would like to actually get in Lions Den when there is a crap ton of people already in it or broke in it.

33's locked front and rear.
526b4052bb6f75dbdd31aa3877a08bc3.jpg

fb0aa7614f3b9e368ea350a557bd29e2.jpg

b2948763c926f5c796fdd44e9d0b2806.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never left Harlan with anything less than a smile on my face.

About 5.5" and 32" tires.

Sure there are places I can't go, but the places I want to go - I can. I've run both upper and middle rock gardens and pretty much all the main roads. A good part of going to Harlan is as much the scenery and the access trails as it is the obstacles. Pretty much anyone can do the bottom 3rd of lower rock garden. Once you've made the trip to the train shed, to Helicopter Pad for the view, and to Hawkeye Overlook for the sunset, you'll understand why Harlan is attractive.

0B9322AD-7799-4E26-BF63-31B95AFF0532_zpse1bgu2g5.jpg

Just a couple more- from about 5 years ago, when I was on 31s and open/open and only lifted 3 1/2"

Start of lower rock garden
101_1300.jpg

101_1302_zps48953e34.jpg

Getting ready to come out of middle rock garden
101_1271.jpg

4.5" lift, 33's and locked front.

13600217_10102579696489717_3547510559690927469_n.jpg

Run this setup at Harlan for several years now and have a blast every time.

Depending on the trails an lines yes.

Depending on the trails an lines yes.

It's like you were watching me or something :D

I've definitely put the sliders through their paces. Haven't really beat on the front and rear skids though, always manage to miss those.

Oddly enough, I don't have a t-case skid. I should probably change that :eek:

It's like you were watching me or something :D

I've definitely put the sliders through their paces. Haven't really beat on the front and rear skids though, always manage to miss those.

Oddly enough, I don't have a t-case skid. I should probably change that :eek:

Maybe not you but I have seen a few built like yours on the trails you know.....

Back