• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gear

Johnxj901

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 01 xj steers really stiff, ball joints u joints tie rods are new.noticing almost a dead spot in steering, checked intermedieate shaft and the joint is good.power steering fluid is very dirty. Removed intermedieate shaft off the box and found input shaft on the box has play.So going to be replacing pump and box, question is what gear do you guys recommend ?since we all know mopar boxes are no longer avail.

I'm thinking of going PSC for pump & gear. Change the lines while you are at it. You don't need nothing fancy there, NAPA is fine.

Some people like them, some don't. Search for problems or unexpected differences with the Durango box. Also keep in mind that dealer pumps, while warrantied, are still rebuilt and can have problems out of the box. Good used parts from NAXJA members in your area or the junkyard are another alternative. But they can be hit or miss. I got one for my Red Jeep that is worse than the one I took out, and another one for the project Jeep that is world's better than the one that came out, feels like new. Watch out for broken steering box braces. JCR sells one with new hardware for $60 that is steel, not aluminum like from the factory.

Last edited:
What made you go with a yj gear
For one I prefer fixed gear ratio instead of progressive, more predictable and feels like driving a jeep instead of a car

Another reason is the YJ box has a fourth bolt hole, and at some point I plan to use it for stronger hold to the frame. Its in a weird spot so have to fab something weird to make it work, but hopefully one day

Years ago, after trying several rebuilt and JY steering boxes and rebuilt pumps and getting frustrated with how poorly they worked.
I gave up and ordered a new pump and a new, big bore steering box from PSC.
One of my better buys, after several years, it's till tight and steers the 33"s with one finger.
It wasn't a cheap option but it was one of those situations where I got what I paid for. I plan on keeping this Jeep for a long time and don't want to work on the steering any sooner than necessary.

I was thinkin 99 durango box

I did the Durango/WJ swap and loved it. Got my stuff from Lares no issues. Few other guys had trouble with a pump but got them swapped and have been fine. Pretty straight forward swap, just take the output flange off the XJ pump and swap it on the WJ pump. Tap or drill out on of the bolt holes on the pump, plug the extra line on the bottom of the reservoir and you're good to go. Redhead is also good, PSC is good but $

I installed a durango box...but the ratio is different, requiring more steering wheel turning.

But this is OK with me because I lost turn radius anyway when I installed a OTK steering linkage kit.

Back