• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper Bushings Bad? (with photo)

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if I noticed when this started happening but it seems that my wipers do not travel all the way towards the windshield frame anymore. It always leaves a large area of dirty windshield that sometimes hinders my view. It always seemed it would travel to the gasket area and clean a lot more area.
This is a picture of it's furthest travel.

Is this due to the wiper assembly plastic bushings wearing out or I just adjust the wiper arms on the spline?
20170426_125553_zpsp4sanzqw.jpg

I don't know what's normal but my left wiper goes so far as to make the top half of the blade not touch the jeep anymore. It literally hangs off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the other wipers seem to go right to edge of the passenger side of the window. i have not taken off the wiper arm.
i did notice that at rest the passenger side sits a little higher above bottom of windshield and the driver sags onto gasket.

gonna have to try swapping those bushing and see what happens i guess

I had a very similar issue. I popped the cowl cover and found that two of the three wiper motor mounting bolts broke and the third was backing out.

When the wiper got farther into its stroke, it would stop and the motor would move.

Quick fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the other wipers seem to go right to edge of the passenger side of the window. i have not taken off the wiper arm.
i did notice that at rest the passenger side sits a little higher above bottom of windshield and the driver sags onto gasket.

gonna have to try swapping those bushing and see what happens i guess

If the wiper is hitting the gasket at the bottom, it's in the wrong place. Just take it off the splines and reposition. You have to lift the blade off the glass and pull the little tab, then you should be able to wiggle it off, rotate it a few splines and put it back on again. However far you rotate it, that's how much farther it will travel toward the left edge of the windshield. I don't think you have a transmission problem, someone just put the arm on in not quite the right position.

Protip - just lifting and pulling the tab will hold the wiper blades off the windshield, if you live somewhere that gets snow/ice.

Back