• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to me Jeeps

jbehuniak

NAXJA Forum User
Morning! New here and new to Jeeps. I have always wanted an XJ. Some point last week I wondered onto a CT facebook group and ended up buying a rotted 2001 XJ sport. My buddy is big into Jeeps and assured me that with my ability and his spare parts we could fix it up. I ended up buting a 4.5" lift kit off Mike (or so I thought) it ended up being a clean 2001 XJ with the lift kit installed and a blown engine. It just made sense to remove the bad engine and install the good engine into the lifted Jeep.
Yesterday I got plates on it and today I drove it into work. This was just in time because Wednesday my DD's engine threw a rod (2004 corolla 291+K on it)

Never working on a Jeep before I am happy with getting both Jeeps to my place on Good Friday, having one engine out and moved to the side by Saturday afternoon. Monday I had the running 4.0 out of the rusted jeep and Tuesday after work it was in the lifted jeep. Wednesday I was almost ready for first start. Last night was first start and its 90% back together. Now just fixing/ adjusting a few things.

I removed the engine, transmission and t-case as one unit. Putting a 3,500# strap from the t-case to the hoist made easy work of it. I didn't have the right chain so I used a bunch of 800# tie-down straps (let the hack begin). Its not optimum but it worked. I am not sure how extensive of a write up on removal yall want but it was straight forward:
-disconnect battery
-remove driveshafts
-remove exhaust from cat-manifold-collector
-drain rad, engine, trans and disconnect all coolant lines (trans too)
-unclip most wiring i.e trans harness and speed& t-case sensor, coil pack, o2 sensor, throttle body and intake stuff + fuel injector rail
-remove trans crossmember (support trans) loosen engine bolts once supported by hoist
-remove
Heres some pics in no particular order:

Back