• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap tow rig Chev- RO-LeTT

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
I've wanted a dedicated tow rig for some time now. I've been reading and asking friends about diesels, but I would hate to pay for major diesel repairs. Plus I got in this clean truck for very reasonable money. It is a thirsty bitch/ but it will take a long time to make up the price difference in gas as if I would have bought a diesel.

Meet Macho Grande:
1992 GMC 454 with 106k miles and a rebuilt 4l80e. 2 owner with a laundry list of maintenance. Repainted at some point, and the previous owner put in motor home seats that are ****ing amazing.
I've done a few small things. Removed factory baffles and restrictions from the intake system. Removed the strange cold start tube from the exhaust manifold to the intake. Painted the grille black since it was had chipping chrome.
I yanked a Lincoln mark viii fan from the junkyard to convert to electric. This should help a little with gas mialage for cheap.
Can't wait to take the camaro to the track this year.

Last edited:
Nice find! Ever watch road kill? They had a burb named macho grande

Thank you. Haha/ that was the motivation actually!
After researching I found that 91 and after received the 4l80e which has overdrive so I had to get this generation. I was looking for that style 454 suburban until I found out about the transmission. That is simply too big of a gas milage burden/ same type of money for initial investment.

Those seats do look massively comfy.......

I miss my dually...... except when I had to park it or try to get through most drive thru's. But there's nothing better when towing, especially over the mountain.

As usual, you never own anything that isn't stupid-clean.....lol.

How long will Anthony keep this one? Place your bets........ :D

Nice looking Chevy. The 454 might suck down the gas, but it'll slow down the earth's rotation if you need it to.

I told my friend jokingly. Let's take this great running truck and break it.
Welp... we put a hole in the radiator. We jammed a sensor into the fins that is supposed to be drilled in somewhere.
Lol/ chop it up to the car modification game.

Repaired radiator is back in. The electric fan didn't fit centered so that's not happening as this thing cools oil, trans as well. I'll keep it for a ls swap down the road.

She's going on for some pdr and tint next week and she's done.

I'll take a before and after.
Previous owner must have run a atv into the cab loading it. I did it once unfortunely on a previous truck. Also, tiny door dings. The first owner must have been old and opened his door along the same thing every once and a while.

Those seats look comfy A.F.

I need to pickup a tow pig as well at some point. I'll more than likely go the same route as well.

Stock tbi chevy. Bullet proof, and easy to work on. They are at a solid pricing point. I considered 5.4 or v10 fords too, but no thank you.

Lol/ I've lowered 2 other chevies on this board. One with Mike Lopez actually. I bet he felt wrong after we lowered that truck.

Well shit...

Love lowered duallys. My brother had a dark blue one almost identical to that. Had a roll pan in the back and a smoothie bumper up front. Truck was mint!

I got her with a glaze. I'll polish this beast soon enough.
Good lord she's high up there. Here's a comparison picture. The lift is 6inch drop up front and 7 in the back. I recently met a couple of old school truck guys at a car show. One of them has a 5/7 drop and they preach about ride quality(which has been rough on my lowered trucks) I need to get their input on this one.

Back