• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No speedo...checked the usual suspects.

Treleaven

NAXJA Forum User
1998 4.0 auto.

My wife drove into town today and the speedo worked great as in she remembers using it to make sure she was borederline going to jail as she was running latr

Later, we went to go back into town and someone pulled out in front of me causing me to lock the tires up. Since then, the speedometer stopped working.

I checked the connections behind the gauge cluster, and I checked the VSS(I just changed it a month ago due to bigger tires and it was properly set). The connector was lose so I zip tied it super tight and it still won't read speed.

Any other ideas and how it would relate to braking hard possibly? It hasn't been offroad in 2 weeks.

When the speedo on my '96 was acting flaky/not working altogether, I traced it down to a broken ring connector for the ground circuit. (My fuel gauge would also go to full, which helped clue me in that it was a ground issue.) Said ring connector is on the passenger side of the engine block, behind the distributor. Maybe the hard braking caused the engine to flex on it's mounts in relation to the body or vice versa? (I know that ground wire on mine runs through the electrical conduit that's attached to the firewall.) And when I say broken ring connector, really it looked more like the wire had snapped or pulled out where it met the ring connector.

I think I found the problem. Drove into town again and the check engine light came on for a P0500(VSS sensor fault). I will go to the pick n pull tomorrow to confirm.

Back