• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle shafts

wheelin99s

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I have a high pinion 30 in my 99 with a Spartan locker and 33s on 10" wide wheels. Now I have not wheeled my Jeep yet and my last rig had a d44 up front so I don't know much about the strength of the d30.

i am seriously contemplating on if I should spend the 500$ for chromoly axle shafts before I go to the Cherokee crawl in July. Or I could just get an extra set of spare axle shafts for 100$ and bring them along.

Myquestion is to people who have experience wheeling with Dana 30s and 33" tires. Would I be better off buying the chromoly shafts or would I be ok running stock ones and bringing an extra set of stock ones alomg.?

What's your wheeling style ? I personally have not broken a front stock shaft yet on 33s, but I'm pretty gentle on the front. The larger Dana 30 u joint that you should have is the same size as most 44s. (I think).

Ive broken stock d30 shafts on 31s and 33s locked. On 35s now and they held up fine on the last trip. Its all about how you drive it. I keep a full set of shafts in the jeep, and another set in the tow rig. They're cheap insurance, and easy to swap on the trail. Go to the junkyard and grab a set of extra shafts, the yard by my house only charges $25 a side. Even if I had chromos I'd still keep an extra set of shafts in the jeep.

I've beaten the snot out of my locked d30 (33s) the last few months. I carry spares, but dont' think chromoly is necessary. I figured I'll break mine first then decide to build and upgrade or swap.

Last edited:
I have been beating my D30 for 8 years now - locked, 4.56's, Atlas 4.3 and 33 MTRs It comes down to driving style and skiny pedal imput. I tack weld the u joints in at the ends opposit of the snap ring. This keeps them from bouncing loose on the high speed runs.
I have broken my fair share of D30 shafts, all while doing somthing stupid but if you drive within reason they will hold up to 33's

I have been beating my D30 for 8 years now - locked, 4.56's, Atlas 4.3 and 33 MTRs It comes down to driving style and skiny pedal imput. I tack weld the u joints in at the ends opposit of the snap ring. This keeps them from bouncing loose on the high speed runs.
I have broken my fair share of D30 shafts, all while doing somthing stupid but if you drive within reason they will hold up to 33's. I just carry a spare set of axels stock axels.

Depends on how you wheel. Mine are fine never had any issues on 33's but I'm not rock bouncing. Personally would just suggest getting some stockers as back up. Could also look into these

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10114.html

Did you ever break a shaft/ujoint in your Dana 44? I would bring a stock spare for each side. If you bust those just ride home on the stub shaft ;)

This thread provides a lot of good insight and advice related to your question.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70422&highlight=dana+tech

Additionally, I'd say, if you can spend $500 before and event and change axle shafts on a clean axle in your garage, service the differential fluid at the same time, inspect all the ball joints / unit bearings / steering joints, vice changing them after the axle is dirty, on the trail, I'd change them in the garage every time.

I'm in 32s with stock shafts and an Aussie up front. I just carry spare shafts for each side and hit the trail. And I've run Harlan 4 times.

This thread provides a lot of good insight and advice related to your question.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70422&highlight=dana+tech

Additionally, I'd say, if you can spend $500 before and event and change axle shafts on a clean axle in your garage, service the differential fluid at the same time, inspect all the ball joints / unit bearings / steering joints, vice changing them after the axle is dirty, on the trail, I'd change them in the garage every time.

Thanks I read that last night already lol.

I found a guy locally on Craigslist with a bunch of xj parts. Would it be a good deal paying him 150$ for the everything in this craigslist add minus the doors? VVVV

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/pts/6068152182.html

Big jointed shafts at a minimum (297 or 760 U-joints). I had the smaller 260's in mine when I first locked it on 32" tires and broke two shafts doing what I felt was nothing more that driving up a rough incline.

You will be ok wheel it hard just don't bind up the tires. Most breaks happen when the tires are at full compression and the steering is at full lock.

I found a guy locally on Craigslist with a bunch of xj parts. Would it be a good deal paying him 150$ for the everything in this craigslist add minus the doors? VVVV

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/pts/6068152182.html

I wouldn't. Lot of crap there you'll never need. Pretty much just need one set of axle shafts. All those lenses and headlight buckets and stock steering and suspension components aren't helpful.

Back