• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

details on this event?

wheelin99s

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I am new-ish to the forum but have followed it and have had Cherokees for years. I was just wondering about the Cherokee crawl in Harlan county, my this year because I happen to have planned a trip down there that weekend. Not even knowing about this event. I will be driving my Cherokee on 33s 5 hours from Athens Ohio to Black mountain on Thursday the 6th.
Is this event still happening that weekend? If so what are the details on this?
Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to having you. The event is absolutely happening. A lot of people show up on Wednesday or Thursday. The event officially runs Friday and Saturday. We use the Harlan Co. campground as our base. We will have organized trail runs for easy,moderate, and hard trails on Friday and Saturday. On Friday night we do an informal potluck. On Saturday night will be a barbecue dinner and raffle. We will be opening up a registration. That will come about four weeks before the event. I believe all the cabins are reserved for that weekend, but there are electrical sites and primitive sites for camping. A lot of the guys just pitch a tent in the big open grassy field by the pavilion. The campground does have shower facilities for all campers. There will likely be a group of guys from Empire Off-road coming down from Ohio again this year as well.

Looking forward to having you. The event is absolutely happening. A lot of people show up on Wednesday or Thursday. The event officially runs Friday and Saturday. We use the Harlan Co. campground as our base. We will have organized trail runs for easy,moderate, and hard trails on Friday and Saturday. On Friday night we do an informal potluck. On Saturday night will be a barbecue dinner and raffle. We will be opening up a registration. That will come about four weeks before the event. I believe all the cabins are reserved for that weekend, but there are electrical sites and primitive sites for camping. A lot of the guys just pitch a tent in the big open grassy field by the pavilion. The campground does have shower facilities for all campers. There will likely be a group of guys from Empire Off-road coming down from Ohio again this year as well.

im pretty sure there is nobody from EOR coming.

Really. Hmmm. Hadn't heard that.

Well awesome! I am excited now! So I will actually be driving my xj from Hudson Wisconsin down to Athens Ohio the week before to visit family, which is about 950 miles. Then that Wednesday I will be driving to Harlan county to visit more family, I will stay and wheel with you all until Saturday when I need to start my 1500 mile treck back up to Wisconsin.

The whole trip overall will put roughly 2600 miles on my xj, cost me an estimated 600$ in fuel, and will be tons of fun! I have 11 days off work tomorrow for this Adventure. Sure I could trailer the Jeep with my Duramax ramp truck but driving the jeep to these places is part of the fun haha. Don't worry I will be bringing lots of spare parts...

What are some things I should know about Black mountain? Are 33s with front and rear lockers and a winch going through get me through most of the fun stuff?

Thanks again!

i live in southeast WI and hate the drive to harlan (well worth the drive though haha), can only imagine making the drive from Hudson.

33s and lockers will get you thru a lot of stuff in harlan.

You will have a lot of fun with that combo.

Rocker protection would be nice with 33" tires.

Beware are Copperheads and Rattlesnakes.......and Chiggers. It will rain at some point. Be sure to get a map, it will help.

Great advice! I'll be making some rocker gaurds and a simple front bumper to protect my winch.

I have family in Athens Ohio and also in prestonsburg ky so it won't be one long trip there it will be separated with plenty of time for rest and repair in between.

Lots of stuff to wheel with that combo! Looking forward to meeting you!

How bout 31 mud terrains and aussie lockers? I really wanna come down to this. the 7 hour drive is scary though. LOL

31s and Aussies. That was my set up. Run the moderate trails and you'll have a good time. I drive mine about 4 1/2 each way.

How bout 31 mud terrains and aussie lockers? I really wanna come down to this. the 7 hour drive is scary though. LOL

Do it. Come on down! Lots you can do there.

Back