• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget recommendations for front end rebuild?

JonBoy81

NAXJA Forum User
I've been putting a list together to do my front end, as I'm on borrowed time having a few teeth missing on the ring gear, leaking axle seals, and most recently a broken TRE on the crappy rustys track bar.

When I bought the jeep, the D30 already had an ARB locker, 410r gear, supposedly upgraded (super 30?,alloy?,don't know) axle shafts, and the greased outer shaft dust covers.

I need to do the pads and rotors as well, so I'm hoping to buy the parts over time.

1)I'll probably do brake motive pads and rotors

2) I have seen front and rear gear sets decently priced in the vendors forum with master install kits, but the rear is pristine, so looking to source front only.

3)The greasable dust caps seem to do, or have done more harm than good. What should I expect when sourcing and installing the factory style covers?
Will contaminants have ruined the mating surface on the axle?

4)replaced the TRE for the time being, planning on a dual shear track bar. Any recommendations that are on the more affordable side? Does this automatically mean I also need the drop pitman arm? (I'm around 5" of lift)

5) the braking is abysmal with 33/12.50/15s, planning junkyard brake booster upgrade, and maybe rear disk conversion eventually.

6) currently have rustys UTK tie rod steering, and not a fan, but not a DD, so stinkyfab steering possibly in the future

Any suggestions on parts, or commentary on where I may be off track is welcomed. I don't need to DD this jeep, but it would be nice to be able to. It usually gets flat towed around 50 miles, or in the case of my fun time with a broken track bar TRE, driven 20 miles very slowly.

Thanks!

What year XJ are you talking about?

I'll put in my $0.02 in order:

1) If you're wanting to retain stock brakes, go with Black Magic. Period.

4) Rubicon Express's RE1660/1665 combo is pretty damn affordable when purchased through Serious Offroad (NAXJA vendor, awesome service, ~$205 + shipping for the pair).

5) If you've got an older XJ, a dual-diaphragm booster would definitely be a wise idea. Rear disc conversion would be wise (especially if sourced from a KJ/KK, which already run an 8.25 in the rear... You'll just need the soft lines from a ZJ or something with SAE brake lines). Bear in mind your parking brake will be damn near useless until you install something like the Wizard Brackets.

6) Dirtbound has a pretty solid option out right now that I'm interested in.

Godspeed, sir.

-As stated above Black Magic is a great choice if staying stock.

-I have a IRO track bar and like it. It was $200 and you can upgrade to a flex joint for pretty cheap. At 5" of lift probably would be a good idea to have a drop pit man arm.

-Definitely do a brake booster upgrade.

-SFR has a great steering upgrade. You could look at going with a WJ upgrade, wouldn't be my choice but is an option.

What year XJ are you talking about?

I'll put in my $0.02 in order:

1) If you're wanting to retain stock brakes, go with Black Magic. Period.

4) Rubicon Express's RE1660/1665 combo is pretty damn affordable when purchased through Serious Offroad (NAXJA vendor, awesome service, ~$205 + shipping for the pair).

5) If you've got an older XJ, a dual-diaphragm booster would definitely be a wise idea. Rear disc conversion would be wise (especially if sourced from a KJ/KK, which already run an 8.25 in the rear... You'll just need the soft lines from a ZJ or something with SAE brake lines). Bear in mind your parking brake will be damn near useless until you install something like the Wizard Brackets.

6) Dirtbound has a pretty solid option out right now that I'm interested in.

Godspeed, sir.

Sorry, for some reason I thought I had listed specs of jeep when i did my profile, but ive been doing more reading than posting and its been a while.

Ive got a 91, d44 rear. 4.0 automatic.
Thanks for everyones responses.

Back