• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Swaping

Greenz

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Definitely need to re-gear after putting on the 33's.

Will be mostly a rainy season DD for now but I will want more capabilities down the road. Here are my drive-train plans in order based on my budget. I'm open to other options.

1) SYE - shim rear pinion angle - Front drive shaft for the rear (2017)
2) Buy 4.56 gears, Dana 30 3.73 up carrier, bearings, shims, ect... (2017)
3) Pay someone to install gears or teach myself how to do it (2017)
4) OX locker front, mechanical (2018)
5) OX locker rear, mechanical (2019)

I got quotes from two local shops for just installing the gears, no lockers. One wanted $2800 he bought the gears. Grouchy old fart acted like he didn't want the business. Other shop was $600 per axle to install parts that I buy. Better deal but that guy was pulling guessing numbers off the top of his head. Seen a few post where peeps were paying $250-300/axle. I don't mind paying good money for hard work. Its a skilled job setting up axles correctly. It's just that I don't feel as if all my options have been exhausted yet.

As far as doing it myself, I work on lasers and precision measurement systems that require tolerances far beyond anything in the differentials. So I understand the importance of getting the axles correctly set up. I just don't have all the tools or experience to do this job with 100% confidence.

Could use some good advice please... :)

Where in Oregon are you? Paden drivetrain is fair priced but usually way backlogged. There's a place in Vancouver that sells 4speed stuff that might do gears, I'll try to find a number. Six states but they are not cheap. I would not trust any independent shops that are not doing gears regularly to do them right and then that's still a crapshoot

Where in Oregon are you? Paden drivetrain is fair priced but usually way backlogged. There's a place in Vancouver that sells 4speed stuff that might do gears, I'll try to find a number. Six states but they are not cheap. I would not trust any independent shops that are not doing gears regularly to do them right and then that's still a crapshoot

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Hillsboro.

Another thought. I have the Low Pinion D30. Should I just get an already built High Pinion or at least swap to HP before re-gearing?

David kishpaugh at jeep west is a very reasonable guy to talk to. He has good deals on gear installs, he taught me how to do the gears in my comanche. Give him a Call he's located in Sandy, OR. For gears RWKhaussupply.com will have the best deals on gears out there!

David kishpaugh at jeep west is a very reasonable guy to talk to. He has good deals on gear installs, he taught me how to do the gears in my comanche. Give him a Call he's located in Sandy, OR. For gears RWKhaussupply.com will have the best deals on gears out there!

Thank you, I will give him a call tomorrow.

I agree RWKhaus seems to have the best deals right now.

there's a couple HP D30 on craigslist for about $200. I've been looking for a built one myself but to no avail. I use Mach 1 motorsport in Hillsboro for my gear swap and locker install. He charges about $400 per axle.

If you pull both axles and drop them off with the gears and full install kits, you should be able to find a shop that will do it for a few hundred bucks..

These days, you can re-gear an XJ parts and labor for under $1k if you do the leg work of research and phone calls

Holbrook Specialties in Gladstone.

I've never used them personally, but they come highly recommended by a lot of people. They would be my first choice if I was in your shoes. Family owned business, and very involved with the local Jeep community (Jolly Jeepers).

I wasn't able to connect with David at Jeep West today, my day plans shifted a lot. But you all gave me a much bigger list of names and options than what I had. Thank you.

I sure all the recommendations are good and it be difficult to narrow it down. I'll build a list of questions to ask each of them to help with deciding.

Paden has been in business for as long as I've been wrenching and then some. That's over 20 years doing gears. He's so in demand that there's usually a wait list.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

When I called padden, they quoted me an astronomically high number.. if they are super busy than good for them! But I believe they wanted twice what I was quoted at six states. And even six states seemed steep

It's been a few years since I paid someone to do gears tho, maybe times have changed

Six states was way higher than paden when I had my Chevelle 12 bolt done years ago. Paden also does a better job in my opinion, yes I've used both. Paden used to charge 4-500 for rebearing and reseal including parts. Maybe they've gone up a ton since I've used them. There's a place on kilingsworth that's a mechanic/hot rod shop, I'll try to dig up the name, been in business for a long long time.

For my reference... or for anyone else

Paden Drivetrain - Portland - 503-252-5112
David Kishpaugh - Jeep West - Sandy - 503-957-8063
Mach 1 motorsport - Hillsboro - 503-547-1820
Holbrook Specialties - Gladstone - 503-655-4747
Six States Distributors - Portland - 503-249-1010
Schnell Automotive and Supply - Portland - 503-285-3567

If you don't drive it very often why not just go grab some 4.10 4 banger axles from the junk yard for now and save to regear with the lockers in the future.

If you don't drive it very often why not just go grab some 4.10 4 banger axles from the junk yard for now and save to regear with the lockers in the future.

Actually that is a good idea however plans have changed. I'm pulling the trigger on Weirdos Dana 30 that is already built. Now I only need to regear the rear axle. Might even go with a 8.8, which unless I stumble on a 4.56, it will need to be regeared as well.

Back