• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find replacement Vac Canister

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ and I am almost certain the internal check valve in the Vac Canister is failing. My HVAC defaults to defrost under load or high RPM. I searched and searched for a replacement online and the Dorman 47077 appears to be identical but no sites list it as a match! In fact, no parts sites have a match for it aside from a couple listing Mopar canisters. I am trying to put in a Rock Auto order and they have the 47077 but they don't list it as a match either.

Can someone help me out here?

There is no check valve in the canister!

Right, the check valves are inline. Just look along the lines until you see them.

The symptoms you describe are synonymous with leaking lines. Start by checking the lines from the intake manifold to the canister and also going into the AC controller.

Oh for the love of all things holy. I swear our Jeep community needs to get consistent on this subject. Oh well I already bought it and it was $9 and change. I have a 97, where would I find any and all check valves on this thing. I have seen videos of people puffing on a cigar and blowing into a vac line as a way to find leaks so since I vape I am just going to take this bit of redneck ingenuity to see if I can find a leak.

Early model Renix has a check valve in the canister. Personally I like the tin can version from the EARLY Renix. It is easy to mount.

As long as you can mount it and it has enough ports, just about anything can work.

Early model Renix has a check valve in the canister. Personally I like the tin can version from the EARLY Renix. It is easy to mount.

As long as you can mount it and it has enough ports, just about anything can work.

If a vac canister were to have a check valve, you could get it to draw down with vacumm applied, but you could never use that vacumm! So what would be the point!

The Renix has two ports, one to draw the vacuum down and the other to run the stuff.

There is a check valve on the HVCA line under the hood leading to the firewall that feeds the HVAC system on the older XJs, and probably on them all. It keeps the damper door vacuum vales from tripping out and cycling at WOT.

Back