• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1491 with good fan relay/fuse

J Pugh

NAXJA Forum User
00 XJ had no fuse or relay for theElectric fan in it when I bought it. It had the OE wiring to the fan cut and a switch in the cab to turn the fan on and off. My first order of business when buying it was to remedy this rigging and set it all back the way it should be. Now I am getting a P1491 (Radiator Fan Control Relay Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control relay control circuit. This includes PWM solid state relays.) and no fan coming on.

I have been troubleshooting it all this evening and can't seem to figure it out.

Here's what I've done:
-Put voltage on relay pins 85 & 86 and verified that it closes connection on 30 & 87
- Tried 2 other relays
- checked 40A fuse
- checked always on voltage present where relay pin 30 plugs into PDC
- checked key on voltage present where relay pin 86 plugs into PDC
- jumped where relay pins 30 & 87 plug into on PDC with fat wire and verified that fan does power on (no relay present)
- checked continuity between PDC pin D13 (where relay pin 86 plugs in) and PCM C3 pin 2 (PCM radiator fan command on)

all of that checked out normal, here's something I got that was strange: with key off and relay unplugged I am getting ~650 ohms between ground and the PCM radiator fan pin, and about 11.5 volts between it and the battery POS. As far as I understand I shouldn't get anything on there unless the fan is commanded on. Can anyone else check for me to see if theirs has the same behavior?

I have a bad feeling that the PCM is the culprit. Bad transistor on that circuit or something.

Back