• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to manual swap without donor vehicle

The_Punisher

NAXJA Forum User
I am building an XJ. Axles, stroker and so on. '97 4.0/auto

I am wondering if someone can help me with a parts list for a manual swap, without using a donor vehicle? This will help me judge if I want to or not.

I am thinking....

-AX15
-clutch/flywheel
-clutch pedal assembly
-Clutch master cylinder
-Driveshafts
-shift lever/boot

We do have a junkyard and I would/could source some parts from the junkyard.

This is mostly a go fast rig for me. But I will use it a ways from civilization in AK. Upside to auto is you can just plant the throttle on hills and mud and sand etc. Manual I can bump start if/when starter fails. With a manual I don't have to plumb the tranny cooler. A manual is slightly lighter and more efficient and robs less power....Also manuals are much more fun to drive.

Would the AW4 and AX15 be considered nearly equivalent in strength? I'm hoping to make close to 300 hp with my stroker.

Well cudos if you make 300. Mine makes 245 at the flywheel. I looked into this swap before I looked at my bank account. Does AK require emissions testing? Of so then you will need a manual ecu. If not then the auto will work fine. Other than the wiring for the reverse lights it's somewhat stright foward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll see. 4.6L with ported big valve edelbrock head from Russ Pottenger. Port matched intake, good intake and clifford header. I won't know for sure, probably won't put it on the dyno.

I don't have to worry about emissions.

Search is your friend

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013850

AW4 is a solid auto tranny that takes abuse. Honestly plumbing a cooler isn't that hard or expensive. Manny's are tons of fun though.

How are you going to hit 300hp with your stroker? I've seen it done but the cost to Hp ratio doesn't seem worthwhile.

I agree AW4's are tough. That's initially why I was into it. I have experience with them through a friend, he beat the piss out of his.

I'm not worried about the difficulty of plumbing the cooler, it's just one more thing to do. Although that pails in comparison to changing from auto to manual haha

If you want a go fast rig I would just keep the AW4. AX15s are getting pretty old if bought used and both ax15s I have bought used, one with low miles and one with high miles, all had syncro problems. That brings a lot of suck when you are trying to shift fast/sporty.

I would not be so willing to do the swap without a donor vehicle period. After doing the swap myself with no donor XJ it was a nightmare tracking down all the right stuff.

My opinion, AX15 for the rocks AW4 for go fast.

Back