• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes klunk and whistle!

Alwaysdutch

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 has a fairly new set of rear brake shoes, but over the last few weeks I hear a strange noise coming from the brakes that sound sound similar as someone blowing through a glass bottle (I have no other way to explain it). This happens mostly right before the vehicle comes to a stop.

Another thing i noticed is that when I push the brakes in hard, a klunk happens in the rear when i let the brakes go and the Jeep starts to roll.

E-brake works fine, so if nothing else I will take it apart again over the weekend, just wondering if anyone had something similar.

Sounds like you mixed up the leading and trailing shoes when you did the replacement.

You got my attention. I was not aware of leading and trailing shoes, so I will look that up. If you have more info on this, I am all ears. It has been a while since I dealt with brake shoes.

In addition to the above, please confirm that the different colored springs are in the correct positions. They are made to work in specific locations under that drum. I know this sounds basic, but it happens (we are all human). Enjoy.

Brake springs come in colors other than rust? Who knew!

Seriously I went through a full brake rebuild on mine a couple years ago and should have some pretty good pics as I couldn't get my self adjusters to work and had to finesse the spring that holds the little lever that turns the star wheel to just the right tension to get them to work reliably; in the process I took lots of pics because I wanted to make sure I hadn't screwed anything up (and it was snowing and cold so I was in a hurry)

That would be awesome. So in other words, I just should get a new kit for each wheel and re-do them to make sure it is done right.

Back