• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP30 carrier shimming question. Starting point.

RoyalXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a housing to re gear but it only came with the pinion in place, no carrier. I can measure the pinion shims for a starting point there. Since it doesnt have the carrier is there a starting point for the shim thickness for each side of the carrier i can start with? This is my first go at setting up my own gears. Thanks in advance.

There is no starting point. You have to measure total carrier movement with the pinion removed and then again with the pinion installed at the correct height.

Might be time to find an FSM and read up on the procedure before you start turning wrenches.

Ive been reading for days. Everything says measure all shim packs and use them as a starting point. Looks like im gonna keep reading.

I was in the same boat with my Dana 44. What I did was use the setup bearings, and then get it to where it slides in tight. Once it's tight you're supposed to add a certain thickness of shims, then once its there, check the pattern and adjust accordingly. The setup bearings are key though.

All you do is set the pinion up with the proper drag on it, then throw in the carrier, repeat until you have the correct amount of shims, I would add to both sides. Then, check backlash and slowly add shims from one side to the other until it is correct, then check pattern, by then you're close enough to figure it out!

Frank Z gave the best answer.

Setup bearings are not needed but some people like to use them.

There are Spicer Dana 30 manuals online to read.

There is no starting point. You have to measure total carrier movement with the pinion removed and then again with the pinion installed at the correct height.
Agreed. I always install the carrier with no shims, measure shims thickness needed then go from there. I have only set up a few D30's and each one I actually measured existing shims for the pinion and they didn't need adjustment. Since you still have the pinion installed use whatever is in there as a starting point. The carrier though should be shimmed with no prior reference so you good there.

Agreed. I always install the carrier with no shims, measure shims thickness needed then go from there. I have only set up a few D30's and each one I actually measured existing shims for the pinion and they didn't need adjustment. Since you still have the pinion installed use whatever is in there as a starting point. The carrier though should be shimmed with no prior reference so you good there.

I think you may have gotten lucky with the pinion shims not needing to be changed. In the few I've done just changing the bearing can change the shim stack.

I think you may have gotten lucky with the pinion shims not needing to be changed. In the few I've done just changing the bearing can change the shim stack.
Correction, the 'few' that didn't need to be changed where while using factory gear packages. Every other time (aftermarket etc) the shims always needed fine tuning on the pinion. So I should say, if possible, use factory gears and you may get lucky with the pinion.

Back