• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise after hack n tap

Treleaven

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I just finished doing the hack n tap and boy let me tell you. The jeep feel like a new ride now.

The only issue is if I give the skinny pedal a strong push, I get a vibrating sound like the drive shaft is hitting something. The sound is completely relative to the RPM's. I looked under and it is close to the ebrake cable but it doesn't look like it should hit. While doing this upgrade, I also replaced the tranny mount the so I do not think that is the issue.

Any ideas?

Did you shim the rear axle ?

Any sort of even slightly technical question requires complete details about the Jeep. Year, engine, transmission, transfer case ? What lift height ? Is the SYE driveshaft new or used ? Have you checked the double cardan joint and the axle yoke for signs of metal to metal contact on the yoke ears ?

Last edited:
Did you shim the rear axle? Pinion needs to point towards the transfer case output.

One thing I found helpful is get an old digital camera and a small tripod, duct tape the tripod to something so you can point the camera at the driveshaft

The rear axle has a 2.5° shim. It is a 98 4.0 Aw4 with 231. Approximately 4-4.5" lift and it is a brand new yoke with a used front drive shaft from another XJ that has 1 new u joint.

Each XJ is different, but typically you shim about 1* for each inch of lift. Double check that all the suspension components, especially the u-bolts, are torqued to the correct spec and have not loosened.

Everything is tight...pinion angle looks spot on.

I did find the issue. There is a small plastic piece that the o2 sensor wire loom goes through and it was barely rubbing on that. last night in the dark i could not see that it was getting rubbed. I notched the plastic where the rub marks were and no more noise.

Thank you all for your help.

The rear axle has a 2.5° shim. It is a 98 4.0 Aw4 with 231. Approximately 4-4.5" lift and it is a brand new yoke with a used front drive shaft from another XJ that has 1 new u joint.

Mine has 6* shims in it, and I still get a slight vibe when I hit the throttle really hard. Otherwise it's smooth.

Back