• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition wire to aftermarket radio

96teal96

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I am somewhat new and glad I found you.:):):)

I searched through as many posts as i could looking for an answer. :read:

I just bought a 1996 XJ 4.0 I6 4x4. When I bought the jeep it had a Sony aftermarket radio. It didnt work and I removed it. There was a radio harness connected and I cut the aftermarket harness to remove the Sony. I metered the wiring and found that the yellow wire was only putting out .2volts. The red wire was outputting 12v and the black ground wire was grounded properly. So I tested the Sony by twisting the red and yellow together and then connected to the battery with ground. Sony powered on. I am trying to figure out why the yellow(constant power?) is only outputting .2volts? Also I would like to know what should it be putting out? Please help:dunno: -edit: All fuses good

Last edited:
Yes, yellow is constant.

If you cannot trace the yellow back (could be fused in-line) then run a new yellow to the fuse block, you'll find a post marked 'batt', plug it in there.

Jeep Driver: I will try and trace the wiring once it warms up again. Just thought it was an odd voltage and figured the line was burned up.

90xj06: No. The factory harness is good thankfully. However since I didnt buy the harness adapter it is possible that they got the wrong one. They did some rigging of a few things to keep her going. I found a 98 WJ blower motor(not compatible) and a few other things rigged up. Its a project and needs around 800.00 in work to get her up to snuff.

I'm not always right, but I don't remember a red or yellow being in that system for the 96. earlier models yes.

Pink wire is your constant voltage, violet and (white I think) is your switched power, orange is lighting.

I'm not always right, but I don't remember a red or yellow being in that system for the 96. earlier models yes.

Pink wire is your constant voltage, violet and (white I think) is your switched power, orange is lighting.

Sorry I was talking about the adapter to the factory wire harness. Yes The Pink wire is the one I need to chase down to find out why I am only getting .2 volts. I havent had enough time in the day to do much in the way of chasing that wire down.

Sorry I was talking about the adapter to the factory wire harness. Yes The Pink wire is the one I need to chase down to find out why I am only getting .2 volts. I havent had enough time in the day to do much in the way of chasing that wire down.

Ing off memory.

Back