• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ Hood Release Cable GROMMET

AlexNL

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I'm looking for the rubber grommet in the firewall were the hood release cable passes thru. Just the grommet.

k5qE68c.png

Does anyone know the part number for just the grommet? Or were it can be purchased.

1996 Jeep XJ

Thanks.

Alex

Then does anyone know the size of the original grommet?

Everything is fine, it's just the grommet thats leaking. I'd rather spent 50 cents on a universal grommet than 30 bucks on a cable that perfectly fine.

Are you guys getting some kind of fumes coming in from where it's "leaking"? I'm not following the problem with the lack of grommet.

I also had water leaking. When it's raining the water drips from the hood onto the seam on the firewall were it drips on top of the grommet.

During heavy rain there was water coming from the dried out grommet dripping onto the fusebox underneath the driver side dash.... not kidding.
I could actually see the water coming in from the engine compartment thru the grommet during heavy rainfall.

You might consider sealing the existing grommet with Sugru:

https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldable-Glue-Black-White/dp/B00EU7DBNM

This stuff was mentioned by another NAXJA user (whose identity I can't recall at the moment, sorry). Fascinating material. It is essentially a sticky, moldable rubber. It dries to a medium-hard flexible rubber, and seems that it even adheres to plastic.

Might still be useful info for the next person.

Back