• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights on turnsignals don't work

Sullie

NAXJA Forum User
When my headlights are on my turn signals don't work...
All my lights work around my truck...
Any thoughts

1988 jeep XJ, 4.0L manual trans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Any quick way to see which ground might be the colperate,
Such as disconnecting front wire connection and try, and rear connection and try

Note, sometimes one bulb being out will cause the blinkers not to blink, screws up the wattage match of the blinker. Either the blinker is weak or not enough current draw for the blinker to work right.

Mine is a little different (export model) but from my reading most of the front lighting grounds on the drivers side inner fender about half way (ground-G 103).

Mine has an added ground near the headlight bucket in the front, likely because of the Euro lighting.

May also be the front harness connector under the air box.

A remote chance your blinker module is weak? Universal blinkers can be iffy, they work a lot better if they are roughly matched to the wattage draw (number) of lights.

I added a ground from the battery negative to the inside of the passengers side fender like the newer models have. If the block to firewall ground gets flaky (which happens often) from corrosion (electrolysis) it may also cause issues in multiple circuits.

Check for low voltage (turn signal fuse would be a good spot to check) and ohm your grounds. A quick check is to do a voltage check from suspect grounds to battery negative any (substantial) voltage indicates excessive resistance. Ohm the wire side of a ground ring connector, the ring connector and the body section the ring connector is bolted to. Some of those ground ring connectors are crimped and corrode, some are soldered.

Check your turn signal fuse for corrosion or whatever.

Best guess would be a burnt out bulb, a ground, low voltage and/or a weak or flaky blinker.

Last edited:
a bad bulb socket can cause issues too. checking and wiggling bulbs might be a test too.

do the hazard lights work with lights on and off?

Kudos to Sullie for dogging through this set of problems!

Turn signal bulbs have been mentioned a few times now. It can's hurt to pull the lamps and clean the sockets.

In the other thread, you confirmed there was a universal trailer adapter. Was it spliced in with something like this?

85464-007.jpg

Oh sorry,
All lights working,
Issue was truck had to be running, wasn't getting enough voltage.
My next issue is wiper won't work. I have power going to the Curcuit breaker #15,
I unplugged the wiper motor and checked for power, there was none...

Any suggestions

Front or rear wiper?

New thread? :)

under the dash on the drivers side there is a black box Velcroed. it has a large flat connector on either side. this is the delay module for the front wipers. unplug both connectors and connect them together. this will bypass the module and rule it out. with this module removed you will have no delayed wipers but you will have high and low.

I unplugged the back box and connected those two connectors, nothing happened,
I disconnected it and with battery on I checked with a test light to see if it was getting power and nothing
0bff1b537fc8dd356f4e193e20286613.jpg

I jumped the wiper motor to battery and it works, ha email to figure out if switch is working

What was the fix?

Someday, somebody else might be searching the same problem.

Back