• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets: What would you change about yours?

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Long arms is not the answer I'm looking for.

I ripped off a lower control arm bracket so I'm in the process of plating the front of my frame rails both inside and out with 3/16. The face of the frame is 1/4". Although long arms may happen one day I've wanted to try drop brackets so now is my opportunity.

My replacement upper brackets are made and will be positioned 4" lower and 3/8" forward. For the lower mounts I am reusing the factory adjusters for camber.

These are not bolt on and all factory mounts have been removed. Control arms are all RE flex adjustable.

Last edited:
I'm running the rocky road Outfiters drop brackets. They appear that they hang down low. But I laid a straight edge across the same plane to the crossmember and there not any lower than non high clearance long arms.they were not hard to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the Rough Country drop brackets with the Rubicon Express support braces. It worked well, other than occasionally dragging on stuff. They were pretty sturdy since the braces mount under the crossmember. I had Ruffstuff stiffeners as well. I had to modify the braces to fit a little bit, but it wasn't bad.

My newest XJ has long arms, but if I went back to drop brackets, I would run that setup again.

Control Arm drop brackets are a good option for the cost. I run the RE9900 drop brackets and the RE9905 support braces that reach back to the transmission cross member, and tie into the cross member bolts. I would not use any CA drop brackets without using support braces, and would not use the shorter support braces that some other brands use.

I would want a ramp on the bottom of the drop bracket, to prevent snagging, and make the transition smoother. I got hung up one time by catching a rock between the drop bracket and the diff housing. I bounced over the rock with the diff, and hit the drop bracket. Couldn't move forward or backward. Bashed on the rock enough to crack it, and made it out.

Had there been a leading edge "skid plate" on the bottom of the bracket, I just would have ridden over it. Tie the front "skid plate" into a support brace going back to the frame, and you're golden.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

I'm running the rocky road Outfiters drop brackets. They appear that they hang down low. But I laid a straight edge across the same plane to the crossmember and there not any lower than non high clearance long arms.they were not hard to install.

I'm using these CAD brackets and couldn't be happier with them.

I'm using these CAD brackets and couldn't be happier with them.
I'm missing/misunderstanding something; a .dwg file or what?

ETA; CAD=Control Arm Drop brackets. :doh: Never mind.

Last edited:
I would want a ramp on the bottom of the drop bracket, to prevent snagging, and make the transition smoother. I got hung up one time by catching a rock between the drop bracket and the diff housing. I bounced over the rock with the diff, and hit the drop bracket. Couldn't move forward or backward. Bashed on the rock enough to crack it, and made it out.

Had there been a leading edge "skid plate" on the bottom of the bracket, I just would have ridden over it. Tie the front "skid plate" into a support brace going back to the frame, and you're golden.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

I like this idea. I'll have to do some mockups and see what I can come up with.

running rubicons. IMO they're only a REAL PITA when you're trying to reverse over obstacles. that said, I got a big rock stuck between diff tube and bracket. was no fun getting off of that one.

If you're gonna wheel it hard, they suck. if not they work just fine. depends on how ya drive it.

I'm surprised gordo hasn't replied. He's been running drop brackets for awhile and he looks to do great with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved the drop brackets on my old '99 with RE adjustables. I never hung mine up but I can see how that would happen.

Recent.jpg

I don't have anything against long arms other than I would like to give drop brackets a try. I've been running RE adjustableso for the past 15 years and have had few complaints with them other than their angle at my current 6" of lift. They have never prevented me from keeping up with rigs running a LA setup. If anything it's been the other way around. That may change with DBs but I'm willing to find out. Actually I'm quite curious.

A 3 link LA is definitely a consideration for the future but I've got other fish to fry and no-one to impress. Making new sliders and an anti-wrap bar are currently two of the biggest fish.

Back