• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Airshock recommendations for towing?

96Sportxj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to add some air shocks to the rear for when I am towing (1k-2.5k) any recommendations? Not looking for anything too expensive or fancy, just something I can air up when needed.

Last edited:
With a trailer that light you should be OK on your current suspension as your tongue weight should not be over 250 lbs. maximum. I would avoid air shocks if possible. Are you stock? If so, you may just need to replace your springs with some that aren't worn out which would be a much better alternative.

Got NAPA's on mine right now,might replace them with Gabriel's if they fail bfore I get rid of the truck. Gabriel's at least have the bladders enclosed in the upper shock body,where the NAPA's are exposed potential damage.

Hmmm I will be following this thread as I would like to know as well.

FYI I have towed close to 6K on my XJ with RE leafs and almost no sag (about 560 tongue weight). I would think about upgrading your springs rather than air shocks for loads less than 3-4k pounds.

FYI I have towed close to 6K on my XJ with RE leafs and almost no sag (about 560 tongue weight). I would think about upgrading your springs rather than air shocks for loads less than 3-4k pounds.

Agreed.

Air shocks are horrible, I had them for about a week on my MJ, Gabriels, sold them.

Straight six or the v8? How was stopping under that kind of load?

Straight six or the v8? How was stopping under that kind of load?
V8 (5.3 Vortec). Upgraded brakes front and rear plus upgraded booster/master. Stopping was fine, acceleration was awesome. My current setup is only ~2500pnds which I think is perfect for the XJ chassis. Anything over 5k is a bit much IMO. Here are some pics with the RE 3.5 leafs and a fully loaded and Jeep. There really isn't any sag, even with almost 1k pounds of hitch weight and cargo load combined.

Honestly, just upgrade the leafs and forget the air springs. I am running Bilstein 5160 shocks as well.

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

Back