• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 value?

grainofsalt

NAXJA Forum User
What prices are stock XJ dana 44 axles going for now?

I'm pushing numbers on regearing the 44 that has KJ discs on it versus regearing a (Free) 8.8 with 3.73 limited slip to 4.10.

Thanks in advance!

If you're re gearing either way just regear the axle you have

Ah, but therein lies the rub! The 8.8 has a limited slip whereas the D44 is open 3.54. I'd be gaining a traction aid.

If I find an XJ D-44 at a yard here, I can have $350 cash in my hand, before I get home. What it costs to own one in your area may be different.

44's sell for $400-500 these days.

8.8 limited slip is useless. They are good for about 7000 miles when new, and only really work until you spin 1 tire solidly 1 time, and its toast.

lunchbox locker to throw in the 44 later is $240 shipped. lunchbox locker for LSD 8.8 is $450+ and a lot harder to find.

dana 44 spares are still more common, upgrades are cheaper, disc brakes are easy, and it says "i love my jeep" a lot more than using ford parts

44's sell for $400-500 these days.

8.8 limited slip is useless. They are good for about 7000 miles when new, and only really work until you spin 1 tire solidly 1 time, and its toast.

lunchbox locker to throw in the 44 later is $240 shipped. lunchbox locker for LSD 8.8 is $450+ and a lot harder to find.

dana 44 spares are still more common, upgrades are cheaper, disc brakes are easy, and it says "i love my jeep" a lot more than using ford parts
F8.8 LSD in my MJ does just fine. The vehicle it came out of had almost 200k

Yeah I mean I guess 'does just fine' is relative. I'm sure it still holds the ring gear in place and turns, but it doesn't limit slip with those miles.

For the time, cost, and availability of 44 stuff...

I'll go 8.8 ALL day long.

Hence, why I have one sitting in my backyard waiting to be swapped in.

I'd do a 9" before ever going to a D44.

A D44 would be my option if it had to be only bolt in, and I had no means to do otherwise.

too damn much. $350 is a steal. They're 750 and up IF you can find them

Damn. Mine was $100 and Dallas's $200, but I guess we bought in January so that was a while ago.

Maybe we should be building 60's and selling these.

Damn. Mine was $100 and Dallas's $200, but I guess we bought in January so that was a while ago.

Maybe we should be building 60's and selling these.

Yep, they'll go for $3-400 all day long in Colorado.

For the much $, I'll build a different, and better axle.

If there were an easier way to make a D60 5 on 4.5, it would make more sense to run one of those.

I still prefer a 9" though if not the 8.8 route.

Ive sold one with factory limited slip for $500 and one open dif for $450 I think.

I think I have pulled a total of 4 from the junkyard on half price days for $80-100 each.

Just got to be lucky and fast when they come in to the yards

Yeah I mean I guess 'does just fine' is relative. I'm sure it still holds the ring gear in place and turns, but it doesn't limit slip with those miles.
I take my 2wd MJ to the beach and it works much better than my XJ in 2wd with open diff.
On road it works too. So I could have worded it better. It does still work very well.

I've got a bare housing I'll probably never use as the 8.25 works fine for me. What's it worth? If I need stronger I'll use a 9 or 60 or a cheap and plentiful 14 bolt.

Back